New Mac Mini - Can the hard drive be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by GrandPixel, Jun 15, 2010.

1. GrandPixel macrumors newbie

Can the hard drive in the new mac mini be upgraded? Are they standard 2.5" notebook form factor? I would like to install an Intel SSD.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's 2.5" SATA HD but currently, we have no idea where the HD is located inside the Mini thus it can be very hard to get access for it. Wait for teardown before buying

3. GrandPixel thread starter macrumors newbie

so we know that the ram can be upgraded, but we do not know about the hard disk, right?

4. belvdr macrumors 603

My guess is the screws on the bottom will get you inside. The screws appear to be Torx 5 point security, which can be very tough to get.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

ifixit will probably have a teardown soon. It should be interesting. (Woohoo! 8000 posts!)

6. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I'm sure ifixit will get to the HDD in a tear down and tutorial. The real question is how difficult and how much work will it require to get at the HDD.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Or what screws it might have. If Apple uses those 5-point Torx security screws, you might be at a loss.

8. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

It's not user replaceable... You need to take out: memory, fan , cowling, antenna cover, and the logic board(needs a special tool) to get to the hard drive.

i just cheked it in the apple service manual. :(

9. TennisandMusic

So, is it harder than the current Mac Mini to get too? It's pretty easy to get inside the current model.

10. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Wow, seriously? So they made the RAM easier to get to, but the Hard Drive EXTRA-hard? Lame. Especially since there's still no SSD options for the Mini.

11. Westyfield2 macrumors 6502a

How hard the HDD is go get at, and whether the ODD is 9.5mm or 12.7mm is what I need to know!

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have a new Mini? At least US site doesn't have the new manual yet so please post a link if you can

13. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

From the service manual look, It's very hard to get... I hope the hd's don't fail that much so I don't have to service them haha :eek:

14. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

fear my search skillz...

unless you use google with that very phrase, and then click on SHOPPING. :)

15. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I just had a look at the guide (I cannot disclose where I get it or post it, sorry). The hard drive will be a messy upgrade, I wouldn't advice anyone to do it themselves. The whole logic board has to be removed, which is never a good sign.

You _will_ void your warranty when replacing the hard drive in the new Mini, for sure.

16. jons macrumors 6502

17. glhiii macrumors regular

Could it really be that hard?

I just changed the speakers in my Penryn 15" MBP, and that involved taking out everything, including the logic board. I put it all back, and it seems to work fine, including the microphone which didn't work before. Admittedly, this involved a lot of work (about 1 1/2 hours), but it was better than paying Apple the extra $150 they wanted. I think that if you have a good manual (which is absolutely indispensable) giving the step-by-step procedure, it probably wouldn't be that hard to replace the hard drive in the new Mini.

18. belvdr macrumors 603

Those are 6-point Torx bits. There are 5-point Torx bits in existence. People have tried to order the 5-point security bits and have been told that, since they were not an authorized Apple repair shop, you can't buy them.

Take a minute to read a post before replying. ;)

19. ADent macrumors 6502a

Any chance the connector for the HD is easy to get to? Or even the optical drive?

If so, you could hook up an extension cord and route it out like eSATA.

20. frimple macrumors 6502

21. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Bummer. It only takes me about 20 minutes to change the RAM and hard drive in the previous design.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I can do it in 5. :)

23. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Nope:

http://www.macworld.com/article/152061/2010/06/macmini2010handson.html?lsrc=rss_main

24. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Now the question becomes, are the new ones easier or harder to spot tampering?