Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGando

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
hi guys, I am stuck with my Dual 1.8 ghz G5. It's a great machine, specially with the ATI 9700 pro in it. It's pretty decent. the only problem is that it's dropping it's price faster and faster. So I think I could sell it and buy 2x 599 mac minis to cluster them. I study computer science, so I do C/C++ coding, and also work a bit with audio and video.

I also host a webserver and it would be interesting to run Mac os X server on one of this minis. So I can Xgrid them out and also Xgrid my MacBook.

how effective do you think a 2x Mac Mini cluster would work ? faster than my G5 for Video editing ?

Suggestions/Info welcome :D

PS: My programs are getting bigger and bigger since I advance in my CS career.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
i can't give you a technical answer, but i had a similar situation i'll share.

i had a 450mhz G4 tower (Sawtooth w/ AGP2x). bought it in 1999 and over the years i've upgraded it. it now has a 1ghz g4 processor, 2gb ram, ATI Radeon 8500, dual superdrive, 3 scsi drives on a scsi raid controller, and 6 ata drives.

up against my other macs, and powerbooks, and a macbook, it runs circles around them even though they all have faster processors.

i think what's important to note here is that i don't think the speed of a machine, especially a tower, is dependent on it's processor speed. in my opinion you have a g5 tower that has upgrade potential. a mac mini is limited in that department.

also of note: the g5 actually performed better, in some areas, against the first generation of the intel mac pro.

i think if you look at options for your G5 instead, you could have a pretty good system to work with for quite a long time.

hope this helps

MrGando

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Yeah , I was thinking about that... the only thing that I like about the minis are their Core 2 Duo processors. But you can't even put a decent HD in them. The graphic processor of the minis won't let me open Final Cut pro ( which I use from time to time ) . ( Since non integrated GPU is needed to use FCP Studio ).

I would love to build the dam cluster, but I think that maybe I should upgrade the ram of my G5 to 4gb and let it be . ( I also have an ATI 9700 pro in it )

But I am listening to any suggestions or feedback, since the price of the G5's is dropping fast.

FatSweatyBlldog

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Great performance and upgrade report on your G5. Definitely an intriguing option, as prices drop.

As for there not being a decent HD available for the mini: if you can get it open, you can upgrade the HD to a 200GB 7200 RPM 2.5 drive. Or, you can get the stock HD, get a 7200RPM (or heck 10,000) SATA drive of your choice and put it in a miniStakv3. One of those will also add an eSATA port, and addition firewire/usb ports.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
I remember someone a couple of years ago posting an article to the tune of the "world's slowest supercluster" (20 or so minis if memory serves). If I remember correctly, they came to the conclusion that while interesting and fun it was definitely not worth it. + isn't any potential gain completely offset by the SW not being optimized for clusters?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.