Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nameless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
the damn thing suddenly decided it doesn't want to read my original DVD movies. It was reading them just fine then when I inserted one that it was reading just fine 40 minutes ago, all it does is read it a bit then spit it out w/ no error messages or anything....I tried again, restarted, tried other DVDs that were working but still the same thing. Even my own burned dvds of the same company some worked and others didn't. The really big shocker was that even the mac osx installation dvds that came with it are also treated this way.....What gives??!!!!

Any help appreciated

edit: just wanted to add that I did open up the mac mini and upgraded ram,HD, and CPU but did not touch the combo. This mini is only a week old. all updated installed including the new 1.1 firmware

Nameless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
as I said I didn't touch the drive and as far as I know the warrenty is not void unless I actually break something which I didn't seeing as it was reading the discs fine.

in any case, I'll open it up again to see if anything is wrong. I was gonna upgrade the drive to a writer but it's too soon for that. also, a friend of mine with a macbook had the same problem and it suddenly just worked after a while (his was an unmodified stock)

I'm new to macs so I thought there's something wrong that I wasn't aware of. I searched but didn't find anything on the matter. does anyone know if a problem like this was reported anywhere?

And thanks for the help in advance :)

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Maybe you didn't toucht the drive, but because you opened it up, Apple will blame your 'messing' inside as a possible cause and they wont repair/replace it im afraid.

Nameless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
I've opened the mini again and everything seems in order. I was just wondering if it's a faulty drive since one minute it was working and then suddenly not or if I did something wrong?

in all cases it doesn't matter that much since I'm running discs off a networked pc now and all is fine. What I was wondering about is that is there another way to install Mac OSX from anything other than the internal drive. I have access to an old iBook G4 if Target mode could help for instance?

I'll try booting off the dvd when I next restart

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
give it an hour or so and perhaps restart the computer. my friend's MBP (much like your friend's) was doing the same thing and it worked after he left it alone. might be something wrong with the hardware, but as long as it fixes itself, there's likely no need to worry.

Markleshark is correct in that Apple will not accept a return of the machine, even if you put everything back the way it was. if they figure out that you opened it, they can even refuse to service it.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Now that you've opened it, you might as well reseat the connectors on the drive and see if that helps.

Nameless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
@swarmlord: reseat it as in open up all wires and screws?

@pianoman: also with my friend it just fixed itself again. did he leave it off for an hour or two? or just on?

BTW, is there a way to install mac osx other than through the internal drive? external? network?

Thanks again guys!! apple has sure fallen in my eyes. I used to have an old iBook G4 with no problems at all and now my barely a week old mac mini is acting up and my friend's Macbook has a yellow space bar? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.