Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desireek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Hi.

I have plan to buy the new low cost Mac mini to my mother.
Would it be ok to use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse from a Windows computer?

Is it something i need to install first or could i start it up with wireless Windows keyboard?

Just wonder if it would work or if i need to order a Apple keyboard and mouse also?

Thanks for reply :)

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
One of the attractions for the Mac mini is that you can use almost any wireless keyboard and mouse with it. When I bought my Mac mini all I had was a wireless generic keyboard and a wireless HP mouse.. and they worked fine.

desireek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
Thank you, thats great.

What about the cmd bottom? What would be cmd on a Windows keyboard?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you are used to using an Apple Keyboard, and don't read what is printed on the Command and Option keys.

You can always go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Modifier Keys and swap the Command and Option keys.

This will give you a normal Apple feel to these keys.

However, note that the swap only occurs "after" login.

So if you need to use a startup key sequence to repair your Mac, you'd need to use the "unswapped" version of the keyboard. Otherwise you'll be saying I can never boot into single user mode with a Microsoft keyboard ... works for me if I use the unswapped key placement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.