new mac mini for logic pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulold, Oct 29, 2014.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about getting one of the new Mac Mini's to use in my music room, to run Logic Pro X. I currently have Logic on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro, but I'm thinking it would be handy to have the Mini always attached to my equipment and ready to go whenever inspiration strikes. Does this sound like a good plan? Do the Mini's have decent enough specs for Logic? I'm not a professional musician - just a hobbyist (keyboards, guitars, audio/singing). I would be using an original Ultralite for my interface, but will have to get a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter to connect it to the Mini. I also use a 32" HDTV as a monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. See any issues? Which model should I get?

2. montom macrumors member

From the current lineup, this one will suit you fine:

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    Intel Iris Graphics
    OS X Yosemite
    $699.00

Fusion or flash drive upgrade is highly recommended; would make it feel like a much faster system and prevent Logic from choking with the low hard drive speeds. If you can afford it, go for it. 8GB RAM is about minimum needed for Logic. 16GB is comfortable for moderate to heavy Logic projects, and 32-64GB is if you're running huge sample libraries like Kontakt orchestras and such. (Mini can only accept 16GB max, and it's soldered RAM so you have to upgrade it at time of ordering, can't upgrade yourself later).

That said, the 2012 Quad Core i7 Mac Mini had 2-3 times the CPU power, let you install your own RAM to 16GB max, and with a 512 to 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD made a powerful Logic machine capable of running several dozens of tracks and plugins without problems. Since you're doing simple/basic stuff, you may not need it, but the 2012 model is nonetheless more computer for the money.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I'm not a Logic user (I like Cubase), but a relevant question might be, "can Logic use multiple cores, and if so, can it use up to 4?"

If true, the just-discontinued "late 2012" Mini i7, in either the 2.3ghz or the 2.6ghz version, might be a better buy.

As Montom mentioned above, the 2012 model has user-upgradeable RAM (and you can put an SSD into the second drive bay if you wish, or attach an external SSD to serve as your "booter").

One other thing to be aware of is that if you're using a firewire based interface, the 2012 model has a firewire800 port. With the 2014 model, you'll have to buy the thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter.