New Mac Mini HDMI cable not recognised

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iainwish, Nov 23, 2014.

1. iainwish macrumors newbie

So, bought a Mac for the first time - the new Mini with decent spec. Having read Apple displays over-reflective and over-priced opted for a BenQ VW2430 24" display. Even says on the BenQ advert 'Mac compatible'.

So, everything fresh out the box. The BenQ screen simply says 'cable not detected' - so Mac and BenQ not speaking - have checked the connections and even tried a second HDMI cable - but nothing but darkness. Why? So annoying.

DVI-D cable is an option too - but (a) don't have one & (b) Mac mini has no output for it anyway.

Same story for D-Sub cable. No output on Mac for that either - just USB ports x 4 & HDMI.

Initial excitement of the new technology long gone. Why don't things just work?

2. tuc macrumors 6502

If your looking for troubleshooting advice, you really need to provide more details. Which Mini model is this? Which port are you using? What kind of cable(s) and/or adapter(s) are you using? Which kind of port on the monitor?

If you just want to commiserate, then that's fine.

3. iainwish thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the Mac I have

New Mac mini

With the following configuration:
    • 2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
    • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    • Intel Iris Graphics

There is no switch on the BenQ dispaly as have read on other forums you can switch between the 3 cable types/options.....

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Mac Mini gives you two connection options:
    1. MiniDisplayPort
    2. HDMI

If HDMI isn't working for you, I'd suggest connecting via one of the MDPorts.

You could try this:
    Apple MiniDisplayPort-to-VGA:
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-DisplayPort-Adapter-MB572Z-Packaging/dp/B001IF252M

Connecting via VGA can produce an image as good as a "digital" connection. If HDMI won't work for you, it's worth a try.

5. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Per above post, although there is no physical input switch, input selection does exist in the onscreen menu system. I'd make sure HDMI is selected there.

6. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

PEBKAC?

[​IMG]

Every monitor, that has more than one (1) video port (VGA, HDMI, DVI, DP, whatever), has an input switch button ...