New Mac Mini? iMac? Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Mar 23, 2013.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Current setup is an old Mac Mini that needs to be replaced by this summer when I have the money to do so. I'm using a 20" ACD that I purchased right after they were discontinued and it has no issues.

My plan was to purchase a Core i7 Mini with the SSD option. ($1,099 without tax.) I would increase RAM manually. No I don't want to install my own SSD.

The other option is a 21" iMac with Fusion Drive. ($1,549 without tax.)

I think the Mini makes a lot more sense. If I go that route, should I get a new monitor? I was thinking no because the 20" ACD has no issues plus it's a room with a lot of sunlight so matte is preferred for sure. (Though I know the iMac's are much better at that now.)

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I wouldn't get a new monitor.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Save the $$ and go with the mini. If your current monitor has no issues, why replace it?

4. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

The mini is just as powerful (apart from graphics) as the iMac, and it is is more flexible (RAM and HD/SSD upgrades are possible). And you can upgrade to a larger monitor in the future if your prefer.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Thanks. I'll probably get the Mini then and keep my monitor.

Here's a follow up: sell my MBA for a 13" MBP Retina? Love my MBA but I never travel with my laptop so I don't mind going heavier. Also saw the MBP Retina at the Apple store last week and it is tempting to upgrade for that screen.

7. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Get the mini. Keep the Air. And stop tempting yourself with new kit...:D

8. jburrows500, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

I recently switched over from a PC, back to a Mac.. I looked at the iMac 27" but for $1999 (no SSD) but I found by buying a refurbished 17 2.6, installing the 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD myself (purchased both from OWC) and then buying a 27" Thunderbolt display for $799 (Best Buy matched Frys online price) I would get better value for my money. That might be debatable for some, and more work than its worth for others. I came in at $1960.

In regards to you not wanting to do the SSD install yourself.. believe me, follow the many Youtube videos on how to install it and you'll be done in 30 minutes.. and saving $150 bucks off Apples price installed.

Mac mini refurbished i7 2.6 $760
    SSD 240GB 260
    16 GB RAM 140
    Thunderbolt Display 800
    External enclosure free (OWC shipped it with SSD)
    1TB external drive free (used the original drive to mac mini)

Total: $1960

9. carlgo macrumors 68000

The goal of Apple is likely to be all-retina at some point. They almost have to be going in this direction as everyone seems to expect it.

So, maybe hold onto your present screen for awhile until you have an idea of what future monitors will be like.