Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Well, it's two different sections really but didn't where else to put the question

Tomorrow I'm getting a new Mac mini to go along with my iBook and it's most likely going to have the Leopard CD case in there waiting for me to install over Tiger. I'm not planning on booting into Tiger at all and just go straight into Leopard. If I want to keep my iLife applications on there, is it alright if I just do an Archive and Install or whatever the equivalent of that is? Also, I have a bluetooth keyboard that I'll use with it. Will I be able to, upon first boot, use the BT keyboard immediately or will I have to use a USB keyboard initially?

Onto the iTunes section. Since I have a dial-up connection at home, I take my iBook to WiFi hotspots and download various updates and podcasts/videos that I want. Will I be able to import those podcasts into the Podcast section of iTunes instead of it going to the Music section? What about the videos?

Thanks for the info. Less than 12 hours before I get my Mac mini!:D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Presumably, iLife will be part of the Leopard install. So it will reinstall the latest versions. Unless they are exactly the same, which probably won't be true. And you should be able to do either Archive or Upgrade. But I don't have Leopard to answer perfectly. Also, I think the keyboard should work, Apple sells many systems with only wireless.

iTunes: Are you downloading podcasts manually and then importing them? I just have them downloaded as Podcasts, and they go straight to that section.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Well, I believe I did an Archive and Install, transferred all my data over and am up and running. I don't know why I held back on an Intel Mac for so long.

iTunes: I am downloading them through iTunes on my iBook, but what I want to do is transfer them to my Mac mini and have them be put in the podcast section instead of staying the the Music section. Hope that makes sense.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
iTunes: I am downloading them through iTunes on my iBook, but what I want to do is transfer them to my Mac mini and have them be put in the podcast section instead of staying the the Music section. Hope that makes sense.

Okay, there's two ways to do this, I'll give you both.
  • Connect both Macs via FireWire. The iBook should show up as a drive on the mini.
  • Copy the podcasts from the Podcast folder (Music > iTunes > iTunes Music > Podcasts) to the same folder on the mini. Make sure to copy the folders within the Podcasts folder and not just the individual 'casts.
  • Sorted!
Or:
  • Hook the iBook up to an external drive.
  • Copy the entire Podcasts folder.
  • Remove the drive from the iBook and hook up the mini.
  • Replace the Podcasts folder on your mini with the one on the external.
  • Reuse the drive for Time Machine. :D
When you update the 'casts on your iBook, remember to only copy the new podcasts instead of the folders to save time. Plus, you could use a pen drive for that.

Also, you'll need a USB keyboard and mouse for setup. I had that problem with mother's iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.