Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Not to say I'm surprised. It's a blow to people who buy the mini to use as an htpc, but oh well, that's the way physical media is going.

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I didn't like it when Apple launched the first iMac — without a floppy, SCSI or ADP. And because of that decision, I didn't buy a Mac for about a decade. I went with Windows instead.

Now, it looks like Apple is planning to kill off discs. Is that the future? I don't know.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
- Alan Curtis Kay​

I think it's in Apple's interest to help kill off discs. If I buy a CD in a store, or from Amazon.com, what does Apple get? If I buy music in iTunes, they can get some money. If I hook my Mac Mini up to a TV and watch a DVD, that's less iTunes revenue for Apple.

There's something wrong if a new Mac Mini comes out and I think that my early 2009 model is still the better value. The original Mac Mini was $499. This new Mac Mini — sans optical drive — is $100 more. Is the new model faster? Oh yeah! ...but what does that really mean?

With my 2009 model, I can go online, make games, render 3D graphics, create content... stuff I expect to do with a computer. It's amazing how well built this little box is. I really enjoy the power savings too. I save like $30 a month on electricity, compared to when I was using a Windows PC... and it's a lot quieter too. Macs are built to last... and I like that. I feel good that I don't consider my Mac Mini obsolete, but at some point I'm going to be buying a new computer. If I can't get a built-in optical disc, I might pick something else than a Mac Mini.

Yeah, I don't use the optical drive all that much... but I have lots of tools that I don't use that much either. Do I use a masonry drill bit every day? No... I don't have a constant need to put holes in bricks. But when I do, I'm happy to know that it's there... ready for when I need it. I don't use CDs or discs that much, but not having one would likely be noticed.

So yeah, I could spend $599 on a new Mac Mini... and then another $100 for an ugly external optical drive... but then I'm starting to get into the range of alternatives.

Is Apple innovating with the removal of the optical drive or are they trying to steer the future in their favor?

Considering that I think the Mac Mini would be better with a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD drive, I'm disappointed with Apple. But, with technologies like AirPlay and iCloud, I shouldn't be too surprised with the recent changes to Apple hardware.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I didn't like it when Apple launched the first iMac — without a floppy, SCSI or ADP. And because of that decision, I didn't buy a Mac for about a decade. I went with Windows instead.

Now, it looks like Apple is planning to kill off discs. Is that the future? I don't know.

- Alan Curtis Kay​

I think it's in Apple's interest to help kill off discs. If I buy a CD in a store, or from Amazon.com, what does Apple get? If I buy music in iTunes, they can get some money. If I hook my Mac Mini up to a TV and watch a DVD, that's less iTunes revenue for Apple.

There's something wrong if a new Mac Mini comes out and I think that my early 2009 model is still the better value. The original Mac Mini was $499. This new Mac Mini — sans optical drive — is $100 more. Is the new model faster? Oh yeah! ...but what does that really mean?

With my 2009 model, I can go online, make games, render 3D graphics, create content... stuff I expect to do with a computer. It's amazing how well built this little box is. I really enjoy the power savings too. I save like $30 a month on electricity, compared to when I was using a Windows PC... and it's a lot quieter too. Macs are built to last... and I like that. I feel good that I don't consider my Mac Mini obsolete, but at some point I'm going to be buying a new computer. If I can't get a built-in optical disc, I might pick something else than a Mac Mini.

Yeah, I don't use the optical drive all that much... but I have lots of tools that I don't use that much either. Do I use a masonry drill bit every day? No... I don't have a constant need to put holes in bricks. But when I do, I'm happy to know that it's there... ready for when I need it. I don't use CDs or discs that much, but not having one would likely be noticed.

So yeah, I could spend $599 on a new Mac Mini... and then another $100 for an ugly external optical drive... but then I'm starting to get into the range of alternatives.

Is Apple innovating with the removal of the optical drive or are they trying to steer the future in their favor?

Considering that I think the Mac Mini would be better with a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD drive, I'm disappointed with Apple. But, with technologies like AirPlay and iCloud, I shouldn't be too surprised with the recent changes to Apple hardware.
Very well said. I was taking out my credit card from my wallet (literally) when I was reading the spec page and found that it doesn't have the optical drive anymore. I may be OK, but I do need to keep a bit backward compatibility for my family members.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Saying "well you can hook up the external dvd-rw drive"......I mean that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Having this sleek small all in one computer, and then having this drive dangling off of it.

But, regardless, the market will ultimately decide the utility of internal optical drives.....

Hardly the case. I take it you haven't seen the MacBook Air SuperDrive ? I've got one of those and it's the size of a CD/DVD case. Granted it has to be connected via USB and may not be quite as fast as an internal as a result but it is still rated the same speed at 8X and suffices pretty well. Mine sits on top of my current Mini and acts as a secondary drive. If I get one of the new Mini's I will use it with that.

nadaclue

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
What some people don't see is that the mac mini was a great gateway computer for Apple. It was for me. And without the optical drive it will probably be seen as a turn off for many people. Sure you can add an external drive, but you really wreck the beauty of mini with the extra clutter.

Also, this last week I purchased some software for $200, it came on 3 DVD's. There is no way that if this was on the app store that I would even think of downloading it.

Tulpa

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
If Apple is trying to kill DVD and Blu-ray as part of some master plan to make people dependent on iTunes for video, there's one minor flaw in their plan: they forgot to disable the USB ports.

In the case of the original iMac they weren't trying to kill the floppy drive -- they were just trying to save space and money. The floppy disk was already on its way out at that point, as they simply couldn't store the larger and larger files that were becoming common; it was only a question of whether Zip drives or CD-RW would take over.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006

- Alan Curtis Kay​

Agree with you 100%

That's why I went ahead and purchased last night the 2010 Mac Mini (with free parallels 6) from B&H for $554.95. I plan to upgrade it to 8gb. This system will be more than enough for my needs for the next few years.

beeman07

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
I agree with Apple's decision to move towards an optical-less future, but with 100s of DVDs I need an integrated DVD drive in my HTPC. Ripping all but the most watched discs is a huge waste of time and hard drive space.

So, it was with some reluctance that I ordered a 2010 Mac Mini this morning (Mac Mall closeout). It might not have the horsepower of the 2011 model, but it will be big upgrade to my AppleTV.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
I too am curious what the inside of the new mac mini looks like with the optical drive removed. Is there enough room to add another HDD or possibly put a SSD in there? You can see the BTO options show you can combo SSD+HDD, so they surely have the connectors for them both.

But I really have no idea why so many people seem upset by the lack of an optical drive. I kind of feel like if Apple did choose to put the optical drive in, we'd have the same amount of people bitching it wasn't bluray :)

The new mac minis are great in two ways: it provides an excellent upgrade for a decently powerful desktop computer that can do all the regular stuff most people need. The second reason is that it drove down the prices of the 2010 minis, which are absolutely fine for a htpc. The main reason people didn't use them before is because, yet again, too many people bitched they didn't have bluray drives. So just let that ship sail, get the 2010 mini, buy an external bluray drive if you are fanatic, and bring it all together in plex. Or just buy an apple tv and convert your library into that format.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I too am curious what the inside of the new mac mini looks like with the optical drive removed. Is there enough room to add another HDD or possibly put a SSD in there? You can see the BTO options show you can combo SSD+HDD, so they surely have the connectors for them both.

But I really have no idea why so many people seem upset by the lack of an optical drive. I kind of feel like if Apple did choose to put the optical drive in, we'd have the same amount of people bitching it wasn't bluray :)

The new mac minis are great in two ways: it provides an excellent upgrade for a decently powerful desktop computer that can do all the regular stuff most people need. The second reason is that it drove down the prices of the 2010 minis, which are absolutely fine for a htpc. The main reason people didn't use them before is because, yet again, too many people bitched they didn't have bluray drives. So just let that ship sail, get the 2010 mini, buy an external bluray drive if you are fanatic, and bring it all together in plex. Or just buy an apple tv and convert your library into that format.

Early reports seem to say there is room for another HDD/SSD but there is no cable provided (from replaced optical drive) to hook it one up to. I'm looking forward to iFixit's teardown to see for myself...

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Hardly the case. I take it you haven't seen the MacBook Air SuperDrive ? I've got one of those and it's the size of a CD/DVD case.

So in other words Apple could have made the Mini case just a tiny bit taller and could have still offered a neater, easier to use internal drive.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
So in other words Apple could have made the Mini case just a tiny bit taller and could have still offered a neater, easier to use internal drive.

They didn't have to make it taller, at least in the base model, all they needed to do was just leave it in! Right now the base model has just empty space inside. There is no justification for this, other than extreme corporate greed and arrogance. This would have been acceptable maybe in 2016, but not in 2011. No matter what some people say, disks are not going away anytime soon.

They should have at least left the ODD in the $599 model and eliminated it in the other models.

TheBaconKing

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
They didn't have to make it taller, at least in the base model, all they needed to do was just leave it in! Right now the base model has just empty space inside. There is no justification for this, other than extreme corporate greed and arrogance. This would have been acceptable maybe in 2016, but not in 2011. No matter what some people say, disks are not going away anytime soon.

They should have at least left the ODD in the $599 model and eliminated it in the other models.

I would rather have them used the extra space to design the inside to allow easy hard drive replacement like RAM. I don't care about an optical drive, but I do like upgrading the HDD without having to pay apple tax. So I am a little ticked about that.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
All the makers of external USB DVD drives, like Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Sony and Targus . . . all had a joint orgasm this week. ;)

turfmate1

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
It's the Air of desktops.

It seems strange, since the base model can't be upgraded with a second drive. What are they doing with the extra space? The mini has seemed like a great HTPC, especially since the HDMI port was added. Personally, I abandoned physical disks a couple of years ago, so I'm not worried about it, but I guess there must be someone out there still buying DVDs...

The graphics card takes the place of the second hard drive in the $799 unit and also why the server goes back to shared graphics.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
The graphics card takes the place of the second hard drive in the $799 unit and also why the server goes back to shared graphics.

that's not right - the $799 unit has the option for 2 drives - the reason the base unit does not is that the base unit is the base unit - it never really has those options. The reason the server goes back to the 3000 is either so it does not cannibalize iMac or price/profit or some sort of licensing thing...

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I like the new Mini although I am going to use my 2010 Mini for a while yet. The lack of an optical drive is a bummer, as it is for many people out there. I basically agree that direction is fine but it is a big step. I would imagine many people feel the drive exclusion is money better spent on other worthy components, which I understand, but many people still use an optical drive.

I still need to make bootable iso images for hdd firmware upgrades. I was also thinking of building a new Smoothwall router and I need a bootable iso image to install it on old pc hardware. I wonder if I can boot an iso image from usb or a sd/sdhc card to do a hdd firmware upgrade? As for making a Smoothie, it will be using old pc hardware so I doubt I can boot from usb on it.

My 2010 still does everything my family needs it to do so I probably won't upgrade this time around; perhaps 2012? If I make any hardware purchases it will probably be to build a fast rig for gaming and occasional cad/cam/cae work.

Overall I give the new Mini a thumbs up. If I were in the market for one I would definitely choose the 2.5GHz model that has nice graphics. Good job Apple.
:)

Max Xinzou

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Good for Apple, Bad for Us!

Corporate greed and strategic marketing killed the Mini with Superdrive for me. I presently have 5 computers in the house and 2 of them are Minis. Clearly, the feature set of the Apple TV is so purposely limited that people feel steered to Apple to rent movies and tv shows. I can't wait until Firecore's aTV2 hack comes out of beta. Now, even the mini is crippled. Yes, the unit in the kitchen is used to play movies for my young niece and nephew, while I learn what else they're not eating this week. And, the other unit sits underneath a 26" Samsung multifunction display. It is a versatile and thrifty configuration that can be changed one part at a time as the household budget allows. Can't really see an Apple all-in-one iAppliance that I would have to completely replace and wouldn't find as useful as this combo. (Oh yeah, there is a great firewire iSight that is elegantly attached with clear lucite to the rear Vesa mount!) AND, call me geezer, but I actually do burn CD's and DL DVD's with the Superdrive. Do you notice how we're never told that consumer demand has waned to the point of these configuration no longer being viable to make and sell. Nooooo, real Steve Jobs has pushed us off a cliff and has begun to force us into iStores to buy our software and to rent poor digital copies of quickly expiring licensed movies. I hear Axel Rose singing welcome to the iJungle in the background! Less choice and more Apple cha-ching! I guess eliminating the Superdrive option actually helps create more jobs, too! Yeah, yeah, I know, just buy the bloody usb add-on and stop your whining. Buy ya know, I've already got an airport extreme with external time maching drive and another drive as NAS, sitting on top of multiple usb hubs and with a network switch on top of all that. No, that old slightly taller mini with the machined slot was kind of elegant. Is the hard drive to be pulled next as we're all asked to migrate to the "trust us", small use fee, iCloud? Nope, just doesn't seem right by me!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
iFixit just confirmed that there is room for one more!

spda242

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Just buy a superdrive,problem solved!

External SuperDrive
Compact and convenient, the external MacBook Air SuperDrive connects to your Mac mini with a single USB cable. It lets you install new software and play and burn both CDs and DVDs, including double-layer DVDs.

Everything you need in an optical drive.

You can play and burn both CDs and DVDs with the MacBook Air SuperDrive connected to your Mac mini. It's perfect when you want to watch a DVD movie, install software, create backup discs, and more.

The essence of simplicity.

You'll never have to worry about lost cables with the MacBook Air SuperDrive. There’s no power adapter, and it connects to your Mac mini with a single USB cable that's built into the SuperDrive.

Technical Details

Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 4x speed
Writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed
Writes DVD-RW at up to 6x speed and DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed
Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed
Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive $79.00

spda242

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Not to say I'm surprised. It's a blow to people who buy the mini to use as an htpc, but oh well, that's the way physical media is going.

I have never used the DVD drive in My Mac Mini HTPC, if I need to watch a DVD I rip it and handbrake it on My fastest computer...All My CDs are gone and stored in iTunes and My DVDs are going next:)

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

um.. the gpu is soldered on the motherboard which is about the size of a nickle. what does that have to do with the space of the hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.