New Mac Mini now or wait until Macworld '08

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vi2867, Nov 15, 2007.

1. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I am thinking about purchasing a Mac Mini before the Holidays, but I have a feeling that Apple has some great new products coming out at Macworld '08.

I've always been an impulsive buyer in the past and this time I am really thinking about waiting before I buy. I know products always get updated, but we are less than 2 months away from Macworld '08.

Should I wait until after Macworld '08.:confused:

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Might as well wait, Its clear Apple isnt telling us all it knows on the iMac problems and the new OS is still being fixed. Doesnt give you much confidence in those communist made Macs when we have so many freezing these days. A rev B iMac may just work. Come on Apple pull your head out of your....... and fix the darn thing.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Buy it now. The Minis were last updated in August.

I don't see them being updated to Santa Rosa until around May. Apple likes to keep them a generation behind the iMacs and the Macbooks because they are the budget/entry level computers.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My bust thought this was a iMac thread, sorry. Mini just got a new cpu without much bragging from apple which means something new is on the way usually. The current Mini is fine but is gpu is botom tier. I would look for either a new product or perhaps a new Mini in the 1st qtr of next year.

5. vi2867 thread starter macrumors 6502

vi2867

That has always been the reason I have not bought the Mini and it's been the gpu.

I am just suspecting that Apple plans to combine the AppleTV and the Mac Mini. Last month I purchased an AppleTV and returned it after 3 days, becuase it just did not work the way I wanted it to work for me. I told most of my Apple friends that I bought an AppleTV and they told me you should have bought an Apple Mini, since it does everything the AppleTV does and more, and that's why I have been considering to get a Mini...

6. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

If you are looking for a media server, the GPU on the mini is more than adequate. In fact, unless you're buying your mini with the hopes of playing the latest games, or doing high-end 3D modeling, the GMA950 get the job done well.

Seems like some people get too caught up with the technical specs for the sake of technical specs, rather than ascertaining whether the computer as built does what it's being purchased to do.

Your friends are right-on: why buy Apple TV, when you can get a mini to do the same things AND more. My advice would be to get to the Apple REFURB store early in the AM and snag a refurbed 2.0 C2D, 1GB RAM etc. mini for $679.

Also, FWIW, I agree if the mini is updated (which I think it will be, contrary to chronic rumors of the mini's demise) it will be in late Spring/Summer 08, at the earliest.

Attached Files:

7. liveexpo macrumors member

Yes, bang on. I've just bought a Mac Mini, with the 20in ACD, because the glossy displays were not right for my post processing needs. I'm currently using a 900 G3 iBook (10.4.11) - but reading these forums makes me think sometimes that the bottom Graphics cards and processors aren't up to it - Jeez! If i can scrape by with my iBook doing RAW photo work, the Mac Mini is going to feel like greased lightning! I feel there's a lot of posters here (in general, not this thread!), who don't access buying options based on real-life requirements.

The whole GMA thing was what made me overlook the Mac Minis in the first place, but then I evaluated my own situation and needs, and made myself realise that I don't need the top gear to do what I want. Which, at the end of the day is the goal. Plus, I'm hoping to go professional in the next few months, so buying the ACD along with the mac, means that if I do need more power, I can upgrade far easier to a Mac Pro, than if I bought a iMac.

Happy Days. :)

8. Retrograffica macrumors member

Retrograffica

Absolutley

I couldn't agree more, I love the design of the new iMacs but can't consider it due to the over-saturated, over-refelective screens. I think a lot of freelance graphic designers are the key market for ADC + Mac mini, we don't need the kind of graphics acceleration gamers require and usually will only have a handfull of Adobe CS apps open at any one time, so Mac Pro capability is not required either. Like liveexpo rightly said, it's all about individual needs.

And in y opinion, put a mini + ADC + new aluminium keyboard + mighty mouse on your desk and I'd say that's the most beautiful collection of hardware you could ask for. :p

9. egsaxy macrumors member

in straight tech specs is the current graphics worse than what was offered in the mini at any other time in it's history?

10. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

My original Mini is starting to become unhappy, so I'm looking to replace it with the next generation system. The current ones are nice, but they are a little outdated.

I'm hoping a new generation is released early next year.

11. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would get a refurb C2D mini, which I found to be a great value. I got a 1.83 C2D mini refurb for $500 on Apple, put in 2GB RAM and 120GB HDD pulled after upgrades to my MBP, and now I have a wonderful and fast little machine.

I was planning on using it mostly as a file server and remote machine, but I end up using it day to day as a desktop to give my laptop a rest. There is no day to day activity that I feel like I cannot do on it, and I even do a good bit of audio work on it.

I run my MPB and Mini side by side on two 23"s on my desk, and I cannot tell the difference between the two video cards for anything I do. I do not play games or do anything with video/pictures, but there is no reason to fear the graphics on the mini. The only update I would make sure to do would be to add at least 2GB RAM if you want to run a happy Leopard and a ton of applications.