New Mac Mini or used iMac 24"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HyperliteG4, Aug 4, 2010.

1. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

Just sold my early 2009 MacBook Pro 17" (needed the $), of the remainder I am allowing myself to spend max $850 for a replacement computer.

The question I have is should I get a new Mac Mini or a used 24" iMac? I've been doing research and I can probably get a 2.66Ghz 24" iMac on eBay for around $750-$900 or so.

I do have a 22" Samsung monitor that I would use with the Mac Mini or I can use it as a secondary for the iMac. I also already have a keyboard and mouse.

To me, the iMac option seems to be a no-brainer, so long as the seller is reputable and all. Is the new Mac Mini all that worth it or not?

2. nikehair macrumors member

If you don't need a 24" display then the Mini will suit your needs. Neither is really upgradable other than ram.

I just bought a 24" iMac and I'm happy with it.

Another cool thing about the Mac Mini is it's small footprint, but with the iMac you are eliminating the need for an external monitor all together.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

If the goal is to save money, why not a used or refurb Mac mini?

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can put a 3,5" hard drive into the iMac. If I remeber correctly, the 24" had 9400m? If so, and you don't need top-of-the-line graphics, get it. Else if it has Radeon graphics, get it. If you can add another $100 or two, get the 3,06GHz one.
    Else get the Mini.

5. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

mini :) you can always put a newer and bigger display

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd go with a prev gen mini 2.53Ghz model from the refurb store at $589 and use the monitor, etc... you have already!

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you're happy with your monitor (and keyboard and mouse, to a lesser extent), then a new Mini will give you a 12 month warranty (or 3 years with Apple Care) and a newer computer. Or, as J&JPolangin says, go for a 2.53GHz refurb and you still get the warranty and option for Apple Care.