New Mac Mini, or used White Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SuperAcer79, May 30, 2010.

1. SuperAcer79 macrumors member

My dad is a light Mac user and would like to upgrade his "basketball base" 15" iMac G4 from 2002 to a more recent model. He does not want a glossy or led screen, so in the iMac that narrows the field down to white (non-aluminum) models, which can presently only be found in the used market. He basically only uses the computer for internet surfing and usually keeps it for a lot longer than the average user. He would like either a 17" or 20" matte screen, so a four year old white iMac with an Intel processor in those screen sizes from $600-$800 or a brand new Mac Mini comes to mind. I am not familiar with cost or brands of 17" or 20" matte screen/white iMac like monitors that would attach well the the Mac Mini since I haven't done the research yet, but if one can suggest a good quality model for under $300 new or used,, it would be appreciated. Would it be a better value to get a four year old 17" or 20" white intel iMac for around $600-$800 or buy a brand new Mac Mini with new or used matte screen monitor for around $800? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In my opinion, with me being as cheap as I am, I think the iMac would be a very nice upgrade from an G4 iMac. Any Intel Mac for that matter would be a very snappier upgrade.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Minis can be had for $430 from the Apple refurb store when available. The 17" white iMac goes for about that on eBay. With the mini you get Snow Leopard and a 1 year warranty. With the iMac you get a 3-4 year old machine and monitor. I have both and although I really like the iMac, the mini is more modern (faster memory, better graphics). I would also be wary of buying a 4 year old machine but that's just me. ;) It may come down to whether you can find a monitor you like.

4. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. My Dad really likes the iMac G4's monitor on the "basketball base" because it swivels and tilts, and you can bring the screen toward you if necessary which is a cool feature. Do you happen to know offhand of any matte screen LCD displays that swivel/tilt in many directions?

5. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

I agree with the earlier reply and would definitely recommend going with a new mini rather than an older iMac. The electronics in the older machine may be fine but the mechanicals like the CD/DVD drive definitely age and you can't get a warranty. With a mini you can get whatever keyboard and mouse you or your dad find to be comfortable. 20" - 24" screens are easily under $200 (watch dealmac.com for some great prices).

My son moved from a 17" iMac to a MBP when he went to college. I bought a new mini just before he decided to sell the iMac and it never crossed my mind to buy his iMac and sell the mini. I'm very happy with the mini and 20" monitor that I may upgrade to 24" soon. I'd recommend the same to your dad. Newer machine, current software, more flexible for monitor choices.

6. EasyJW macrumors member

New mac mini[​IMG] you'll get a years warranty, snow leopard and a shiny new device!