New Mac Mini - Redownload apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DanielGMac, Dec 23, 2014.

1. DanielGMac macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

I'm building a new mac mini and it's going along just fine except for one thing.

In the app store, about 2/3 of the apps I've either bought (HD Tag) or is one of the free downloads (Garage Band) says "open" rather than "download" or "install" When I click the open button, the app starts and runs normally.

I'm sure there's a simple solution, I've just not found it. I would like to actually install these so they're in the application launcher rocket beastie.

Help?
    Thanks
    DanH

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're installed on your Mac, so if you delete them, you can re-download them.

I'm not understanding your reasoning, but if thats what you want, removing the apps should give you what you're asking

3. DanielGMac thread starter macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

It's a new mac. They're not installed anywhere. They were installed on my old mac mini but I am building this from a new, fresh, install of OS X.

4. Apple06 macrumors member

By any chance you have one of your partition with an older OS image mounted? I had an older clone of my previous install and apps run off of that even though I didn't install on the new OS install.

5. stapoz macrumors member

stapoz

It doesn't matter what Mac you use, new, old or your friend's. Only the Apple ID you are logged in does matter. On any Mac, when you login to the App Store using your Apple ID, you can download and install all apps you have paid/installed previously on this Apple ID. When you logoff App Store and login with another Apple ID, you have different set of apps.

6. DanielGMac thread starter macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

AHA! This was it. I had a hard drive from another Mac Mini in I was going to use as a backup drive with super duper and it had a full installation of OS X on it.

Thanks! You got it.
    DanH

----------

Just as a side note, this has absolutely nothing to do with what was going on.