New Mac Mini Server and FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bigcreek, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bigcreek macrumors member

What are your thoughts on this machine for moderate editing? - I like that it is quad core, but don't know about it running Lion Server and FCPX?

2.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive + 256 Solid State Drive

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Why would you run your video editing machine as a server too?

3. bluap84 macrumors 6502

+1 - why ?

4. bigcreek thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know if quad core processing would outweigh the lack of dedicated graphics hardware - as compared to the dual core model which does have dedicated graphics.

5. bluap84 macrumors 6502

are you saying you already have a mac mini server? and your wondering if you can run FCPX on it?

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

My bto w/ same specs is not shipped yet. Subscribe to thread. One answer to why from my perspective: if I can serve files and mail from the hdd while working efficiently from the ssd simultaneously, the mini server becomes best of both worlds.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Serve files to whom?

8. bigcreek thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a mac mini, I was trying to decide if I should buy the server version versus the non-server version.

The difference being you could get the 4-core server version without dedicated graphics, or the 2-core non-server version with dedicated graphics. Which would be better for FCP?

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

There will have to be mini users who determine this. I haven't found the answer, but it seems a general consensus in other related threads that it is a trade off between how much better the cpu in server mini is versus the dedicated graphics of the high end two core mini. I already knew that for my work which is image manipulation in CS5 that four cores (8 threads) will allow me to continue my normal work flow- while enjoying Safari, iTunes, Mail, and Quicktime and still screaming at Photoshop and Bridge. I suggest you wait for a few real world tests, surely within the next weeks others will have both a mini and a server mini running FCP and your answer.

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

As FCP X can take advantage of the GPU's RAM, I'd rather go with the non-server model. Don't forget that Video rendering puts a lot of strain on the CPU. I'm not sure if the heat that is produced in the process is not gonna kill the 4-core rather quick.

11. bigcreek thread starter macrumors member

Great points. I was leaning toward the dedicated graphics. Cost less also. -

12. rhurst macrumors newbie

Bump for more replies.

Final Cut Pro X says the Mini Server's HD 3000 integrated graphics are supported, but I need to know if the performance is decent, or if it just barely gets the job done.

13. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The GPU in the $800 Mac mini is pretty weak VS the ones in $1800 and up MBP, iMac, and Mac Pro.

The only thing I could see it possibly helping is in Motion or using two monitors. Someone would need to test for a difference.

The question is how much will it benefit in Motion VS 2 more cores, 4 more threads?

Besides games, the only other App that I can think of that might prefer 2 cores + GPU VS 4 cores would be aperture. But someone needs to test it ;)