New Mac Mini Set-up - Heat/Vent Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ec51, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ec51 macrumors 6502

Recently purchased this late 2012 quad core Mini and I am wondering what everyone thinks about this set up. The stand is a Just Mobile Mtable which the mini just barely clears.

The vent for the mini would be facing as shown and the back of the stand is ported. Though I am wondering about the close proximity of the stand to the top of the machine and if this would create a future over-heating issue.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Saltymac macrumors member

Personally I would want more air circulation. The mini and airport extreme (old style) design run warm in operation and I would want more cooling space available.

3. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

The mini draws air in from the bottom cover and exhausts through the back. This should not create a major problem. Could it be cooler, yes. Dangerously hot, no.

5. ec51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the input!

Though I find it odd -- all of the storage options that have the mini boxed up (if the heat was an issue).

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/accessories

Though with the aluminum so close to the top -- I would be concerned with interference as well.

6. opinio macrumors 65816

Your choking the inlet! That vent you refer to is only the outlet. The inlet is on the other side on the front curved leading edge of the black base. You need to give that area full ventilation.

See this thread and comments.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1625166