Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob5160a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I'm now using a 3yr old 13" Macbook running Snow Leopard. I've just purchased a new Mac mini. Is it feasible to make a disk copy of my Macbook HD and "restore" the copy onto the new Mac mini HD (using Carbon Copy Cloner, for example). This will save me many hours of work setting up, installing files, programs, etc.

If not, is there some way to partially accomplish this using a Time machine backup?

Thanks, Bob

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
Migration Assistant can look into Time Machine backups and selectively restore user accounts, apps, etc, to the new machine. I just did this today with a new Mac mini. :)

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I had very good results with migration assistant as well. I had an iMac running leopard with all sorts of applications and utilities running. I was amazed that after migrating everything was intact, including all of my user and group permissions for the volumes I share out. The only thing that did not transfer over for me was the Windows samba account passwords, that I just needed to reset on the Mini. Coming from a Microsoft world, this was the nicest and most complete machine transition and upgrade that I have ever experienced!

I think you will be surprised at how well it will work for you. I did the migration assistant immediately before logging in so that I could hopefully keep my user ids intact before creating accounts on the new machine, and that seemed to work out perfectly.

Good luck.

Vic 20

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
I'm in the process of changing machines. I'm currently using Leopard and will be changing to Snow Leopard. I know some programmes don't work with SL such as Parallels 3, if I upgrade them now (3 up to version 5) will that help or am I better to buy a new version suited to SL?

Also, what happens with licences etc??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.