New Mac Mini Setup and Storage Questions (Kinda Long)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by joshuarobi, Nov 4, 2009.

1. joshuarobi macrumors regular

If this should be in the Home Theater forum my apologies.

My new mini should be waiting for me when I go off shift tomorrow, so I've got a few questions as to how to set it up.

It's going in my TV setup, but will also be my primary mac since I hardly ever sit at a desk. My Airport Extreme is under the tv so that's easy. Connect mini to AEBS via ethernet. With the AEBS having only 3 ethernet ports how do I expand this if needed?

I'm getting an external drive tomorrow for Time Machine and media storage, but don't know what's best. A usb or firewire drive connected to the mini or connect a drive to an ethernet port on the AEBS? I'd also like to wirelessy backup my Macbook with this drive.

As for the mini, I've got a miniDisplay to HDMI adapter and will use my old Altec Lansing Surround Sound from the headphone jack for now. Is the miniDisplay equivalent to mini-DVI?

I've got an old Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for setup if need be, but I'd like to control the mini from my MacBook. How do I do this?

Any other setup advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need an Ethernet switch like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127083

Definitely FireWire, it's a lot faster. You can backup both of them wirelessly but it takes more time so depends on how much you have to backup. At least do the first backup wired because transferring ~100GB can take up to days.

Mini DisplayPort is better than Mini-DVI, because Mini-DVI's maximum resolution is 1920x1200 but MDP can do up to 2560x1600 (maybe even more)

I've got an old Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for setup if need be, but I'd like to control the mini from my MacBook. How do I do this?

You can do this with Remote Desktop, I think but that's expensive. I'm not sure is there any way to use MBP as keyboard and mouse for Mini but I think no. If you only want to access the files in Mini, just turn on file sharing

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

While this is true, it's really not applicable in the OP's case as there aren't any TVs out in the market with resolution greater than 1080p (1920 x 1080).

Remote desktop is not necessary. You can control another mac on your network simply by enabling Screen Sharing in OS X system prefs. Just going into System Preferences/Internet and Wireless/Sharing an enable the checkbox for Screen sharing. You can then connect using your Macbook simply by selecting the device in Finder and clicking the Screen Share button found immediately below the search box. You can even add a quick link to your dock--works great. I have a mini setup as my HTPC and use screen sharing from my macbook all of the time---very simple.

As I see you also have an iPod touch, there are a number of applications available to control your mini using the touch. I personally really like Air Mouse Pro (iTunes link) for all around functionality and Rowmote (iTunes link) for HTPC functionality in Plex or Frontrow. You might also want to check out HippoRemote (iTunes link)--I recently purchased it, have just started playing with it and it looks promising as well.

4. joshuarobi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I've got Air Mouse on the touch, just waiting to put the server on the mini. I can't wait.