Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cedartree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
I have a music studio set-up with (right now) a Macbook Pro -- I use the thunderbolt connection simply as a display port to connect to a large external monitor and I use the firewire port to connect to some audio equipment (that equipment can only connect through firewire, not USB).

Once the new Mac mini comes out, I want to use that instead and free up my laptop. So... if there's a thunderbolt on the new Mini, will there ALSO be a firewire as well (just like there's both on my MBP?) Otherwise, not sure I can use the Mini (?) Or is there some other possible solution? And I have to assume the new Mini will still have a few USB ports!

Thanks!

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
No one can really tell you at this point. You're going to have to wait like the rest of us for Apple to come out and tell us.

cedartree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
So I could be in a situation, like others, where Apple would be encouraging me NOT to buy something!

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Apple retained Firewire on the new MBPs, on which the mini displayport was replaced by Thunderbolt. I think it's reasonable to assume they'll do the same on the new Mac mini but with Apple, you never know what's in their collective head.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I'd be shocked if they ditched FW on the new Mini. That would really piss people off.

cedartree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
Not sure if thunderbolt technology would allow this, but I presume someone will sell a "hub" that plugs in and provides 3 or 4 thunderbolt ports. Given the price of the cable at $50, the hub would prob. go for $150

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.