New Mac Mini to have Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by msgx, Jan 11, 2009.

1. msgx macrumors newbie

My bet is that Apple is holding off on the new Mac Mini until they can launch it with Blu-ray, to be Apple's first Blu-ray device.

I think this because:
    - Mm has more physical/mechanical space to fit in a Blu-ray drive, no laptop specific support issues (plus they've just refreshed laptops)
    - Mm is a kind of HTPC, so Blu-ray on it can help boost its profile this way
    - generally, it will bring additional PR to the Mm launch, and the Mm itself and may provide an initial sales boost

What do you think? I know Steve called Blu-ray "a bag of hurt", but they really have no option but to support it at _some stage_, and I reckon that the Mm is a good starting platform.

I'm in the market for a HTPC/combo-PC for our family, but it's not critical, and rather than buying a Tvix or something else, I'm ready to go for a Mac Mini, but I've been holding off my purchase because a hardware refresh is imminent and was predicted for the conference, but I was saddened to see that it didn't come through. I'm still waiting ...

I wonder if they have the new hardware design ready, they are working on the OS, but they are having issues supporting Blu-ray, and this has basically punched out the schedule. Is there an event in the next 6 months where they might launch the next Mm?

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Mac Mini is the low priced switcher Mac, doubt they want to raise the price even more to include blu ray, not to mention while it is used by many as a HTPC, it is not marketed as one by Apple. If any Mac is going to get Blu Ray it will more than likely be the Mac Pro before all else.

And as far as an event goes, we won't know till about a week before when they send out invites, but they could always do a silent update. This is why (supposedly) Apple is pulling out of MacWorld, so their updates aren't as predictable and they aren't held to a release schedule set by anyone but themselves.

3. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

I wouldn't expect blu-ray for a while. Think of how many people still have CRT TVs. 1080p is completely useless for the few of us who still have 480i sets. Think of how long it took DVD to really get a stranglehold on the market. Until you see a larger section of blu-ray movies at the store, I'd just file it with SACDs. Viable format, not very useful... yet.

4. msgx thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, sounds good, but I guess the new Mm with SATA removable optical drive is in a better position to upgrade to a Blu-ray drive say when OSX eventually supports it, say 12 months out?

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Well once OS X supports it you should just be able to use an external blu ray drive

6. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

Sata would definitely be nice to have in the new mm's.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No blu-ray yet. Blu-ray drives costs like 400$, if you want good one and Apple always do.

Maybe in new Mac Pros but not in cheapest model from Apple (Mac Mini)

8. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

yeah, the mac pros could use it for sure, but that's because of the production aspect generally associated with mac pros. everything under is generally for the consumer level, and, like i mentioned, until you see blu-ray as mainstream as dvds were when apple adopted the dvd drive (g4 era i believe), then apple will most likely not put dvd drives in the consumer line.

9. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

what about BTO blu ray drives?

10. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

one would think that it would be relevant by the ratio of cost to profit and the demand. however, we all know apple. that is all i can say.

11. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

12. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

exactly. we all saw how long dvd drives were out and how long it took apple to deem the technology worthy of their hardware. this is the reason i don't see i7 happening until next year. apple just doesn't like to use immature technology, and tbh, i like that. i know i'm getting a computer that doesn't have shoddy technology.

13. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

hmm...well that's debatable, the FW chipset the use on the MBP 15", the GPU they were using on the old MBPs, the panels they use on some of their screens, the casing they used on the old MBs, the list goes on and on.

14. Srai-W macrumors regular

No Blu-ray For You!!!

LOL. Classic... I can just imagine it. I would love it, but don't see it happening. :eek:

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is the year 2015? If not, then no Blu-ray.

Don't question my argument; it's sound.

16. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Does anything happen in 2015 or just picking random years?

...oh I mean, yeah what he said.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm basing it on a few sources. I'll quote you an older post with my rationale.

18. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Seems like you're the person to ask about this....are you aware of 'the grid' and will this have any impact on your estimation?

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Tallest_Skil you're right, no blu-ray for years. And what you do with that? Nothing. Single blu-ray disk costs like 10$ no body can afford those. And for that over 4000p thing, I don't notice difference between 720p and 1080p, so over 4000p is far in future, 'cause "not so good times" are behind corner so companys will have to keep prices low and stay in mass product.

Btw Pioneer will start producing 400GB blu-ray in this month

20. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Also with 400GB blu ray disks right around the corner and being a good media for pro storage and back up would you expect the Mac Pro to get BTO blu ray burners any earlier than 2015?

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'd love to see you try and explain that one.

There is no bigger hardware Nazi on earth than Sony, the people who developed the optical disk that you want in your system.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It can be argued that the current set of Blu-ray disks are a good media for pro storage and backup, too, though. Sort of.

For the really high-end stuff, we still have tape cartridge backups, you know. I've seen ones that are 800GB uncompressed/1.6TB compressed, and they're not expensive at all.

Seeing them shocked me, actually, because you see terabyte HDDs that are just now hitting $100 and then you see these magnetic tape cartridges that are 1.6TB costing $40.

I'm sure the reader/writer runs in the thousands of dollars, though, so that's where they get the revenue from the media, but it will be a while before Blu-ray can compete with these cartridges in the world of backups in both storage capacity and price per disk.

Anyone doing insanely important backups will have tape cartridges, but for less important ones, I can see external Blu-ray drives burning those 400GB and 500GB disks (I think... I'm not sure... that the 400/500 disks are compatible with existing Blu-ray players... anyone know?) in smaller professional venues, though.

But that's the thing. Other companies will be making these external Blu-ray drives. Other companies will be making internal Blu-ray drives. These drives will probably not be connected to each individual computer in a setting that uses them for backup, but rather, they'll be connected to the backup server itself and the data to be backed up will be transferred from the end-user computers (a Mac Pro or whatever) to the server, which writes the data to the Blu-ray disk.

Also, in case you hadn't noticed, Apple doesn't really care about the professional crowd these days. It sucks, but it's true. I say 2015 and use a video media based argument because that's what applies to Apple: the consumer.

23. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Just getting off work so don't have much time to explain so I'll quote another of my posts, and I never said Sony wasn't a bigger hardware nazi, nor did I ever say I wanted blu ray, just getting some information on it, hell I don't even own a flat panel TV, let alone a HD TV, it would be useless to me.

24. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

+1 for those of us who still have crts!

25. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

So I suppose the important question to ask now is when will Mac OS X support external Blu Ray drives, perhaps snow leopard? I know there was talk about 10.5.6 having Blu Ray support, but apparently that didn't come to fruition.