New Mac Mini vs Old Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sim0, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Sim0 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a gaming rig rather than buying into the new generation of consiles, to run windows via bootcamp so that I can abuse the Steam sales. But what would be better? An older Mac Pro, or a new Mac Mini? At the moment, they are about the same price here in Aust.

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I think if you really want a PC just for gaming, there won't be a way around a discrete GPU. But towers are also much more power consuming than notebooks (an the Mac mini consists only of notebook components).

3. blanka macrumors 68000

Get a PS4. It has a rediculous fast GPU, and will run Windows and OSX soon. Just wait till it's jailbroken!

4. Sim0 thread starter macrumors newbie

I may end up getting a PS4, but at the moment I'm looking at getting a mac for PC gaming.

Anyone else with some advice? I really don't know which way to go.

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Mac Pro, because it's upgradable. New video card, more memory, more drives, more processing power... The Mini would be OK, but upgrading it is really limited... Like pretty nonexistent... I run Win 7, Win XP, Win 98 and flavors of Linux on my Pro. Just updated the video card, although I haven't looked to see if the video card falls through to Fusion yet. I run in waves of having to run Windows, and I haven't had to run it much lately. Not that I at all mind that. ;-)

And it's possible that the resale price might hold longer for a Pro versus a Mini, although the Mini would make a good doorstop or kitchen counter machine in the future...

6. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Hope that's sarcasm, or else good luck with running OS X on it. Ignoring the major compatibility issues, someone would need to write custom drivers to get any graphics acceleration beyond a VESA framebuffer.

7. blanka macrumors 68000

It has roughly the same GPU as the new MacPro, so it only needs some tweaks to the drivers of that machine.

If you want PC gaming, get a PC. Just grab any old i5 or 45nm Core2Duo PC second hand for 100$ and pop in the best GPU you can buy. It will outperform any MacPro config and is a lot easier to install, and half price or even less.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

An i5 or a C2D is supposed to outperform a Xeon? Not saying one needs much more than an i5 just for gaming, but...

9. rnauman821 macrumors member

When it's clocks over core... a modern i5 may very well out perform a xeon.

10. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Hey look, another one of those duplicate quote spam bots. Hello Mr. robot, how are you today?