New mac mini vs old one

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ivanglisic, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ivanglisic macrumors newbie

I need opinion, preferably from people that had both mac minis, what should I buy? The thing that causes my dilemma is price difference between two models(new and old entry model).

Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz/1GB/120GB/GeForce 9400M/SD - 847 US$
    or
    Mac mini Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz/2x512MB/80GB/Combo - 637 US$

Question is simple, is new mac mini worth 210 US$ more?

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Depends what you want to do with it. Old model limited to 3GB RAM, new 4GB (maybe 6, but no conclusive tests yet that I've seen). Depending on what you do, the 1GB you have may be sufficient.

OTher biggie in the new model is the graphics chip...once again depending on what you do, the old one may be fine. If all you do is web surf and email, don't waste the extra $200.

3. ivanglisic thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to use mini, mostly for coding in xcode, surfing, watching 720p mkv movies(maybe 1080p).

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Absolutely the new one. It's not just a spec bump, but a hardware shift with dual-display capability, fw800, and mini displayport. 5 USB, SuperDrive as standard, 802.11n, DDR3 RAM and a newer graphics set... no argument! :p

5. ivanglisic thread starter macrumors newbie

This is how I see improvements in new mac mini:
    1. much better graphics adapter
    2. empty
    3. empty
    4. better overall performance (newer processor, DDR3) but not much better
    5. more energy efficient system

Don't need dual display support, fw800, superdrive.
    Display port isn't plus, it's 32 US$ more that I need to pay for adapter (display port to vga).
    5 usb, 802.11n is plus but not needed in near future.

Once again this is how I see improvements in mini, I am not saying that display support, fw800, superdrive are not needed, it's just that they don't need me.

So, the new question would be are much better graphics adapter, better overall performance and more energy efficient system worth 210 + 32 US$?

6. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

You alone must answer your own question on this, since you know, how much money you can spend on a computer. For me, it is definitely worth (for dual display capabilites and because of FW800).

7. ivanglisic thread starter macrumors newbie

Just called my local store and found out that they don't have old minis any more.So my problem is solved :)
    Anyway thanks for replays.

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Refurbs and clearance Minis do show up occasionally on the apple online store though...if you're really wanting to save the money.

9. txnoob macrumors 6502

OP, where are you located? Your prices seem high....