New Mac Mini vs. Refurb iMac 2011

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thesickcat, Apr 24, 2013.

1. thesickcat macrumors newbie

Just wanted to get some input.

I currently am still using my PowerBook G4 from 2006 and it is starting to really show its age.

I'm a grad music student and I need to upgrade very soon before this beast finally hits the dirt.

My budget is right around $1000 and I need a computer that can handle the uses of every day life for me - running Sibelius (music notation software), and some light picture editing with PS. So really not too much heavy use...

So here's the deal: I didn't see a refurbished iMac in my price range (I need one with a Superdrive) and I purchased a New Mac Mini with 8GB RAM plus a Superdrive, keyboard... (I picked up a good monitor from Best Buy, but that is also returnable)

I chatted with a rep over at Apple and they said that I can return the Mac Mini with accessories within 15 days of when I pick it up - I haven't picked it up from "site to store" yet. Ergo if I buy the REFURB iMac and also ship "site to store" I can walk in and pick up the iMac while I "return" the Mac Mini and receive a full refund.

What's the better option?

NEW Mac Mini
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB memory
    500GB hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    OS X Mountain Lion

OR

REFURB iMac 2011
    21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    500GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Thanks for the insight.

tl;dr
    Which is better the New Mac Mini or the Refurb iMac 2011?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'd say the iMac is the better deal -- the Superdrive is built-in and it will have better hard drive and CPU performance (not that it would be particularly important).

If the 4GB of ram is a problem (it probably won't be) you can easily and inexpensively upgrade.