[New Mac Mini] Wise to used mixed memory?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Chris2Mac, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Chris2Mac macrumors newbie

Hey,
    New to the forum, first post :) Just order the new Mac Mini base model. My first Mac! Debated for a while whether to go that extra mile and get an iMac or MacBook. Didnt want to spend too much initially so left me with Mini or iMac. Already have a 24" Samsung monitor so decided to go with the Mini.

Back to the question! I've order the base mini and I am going to upgrade the RAM myself. My questions are :
    1. Is it 1x1GB stick (as it says on apple) or 2x512 sticks (as on Amazon)?
    2. Is it ok to use mixed memory. i.e. If I buy a 2GB stick and theres 1 in it, use both giving 3GB or would it be better off to use 2x1's or 2x2's (same brand)?

Thanks.

2. Chris2Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good choice. Did you get it from Newegg? They have the best price right now at $53 shipped.

4. Chris2Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I'm Irish (hope I'm still accepted :p ) so ordered from komplett.ie here which came to €60 (bout $75) shipped.

5. Chris2Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Is 4GB ram not slightly overkill though? I know it doesnt hurt to have more RAM.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

It probably is. I have 2GB in my last-gen iMac, and although I was planning to upgrade for 4, I've never actually felt pressed for memory, or that the machine was sluggish, so I've kept it at 2.

Obviously, different situation for someone that does graphics or video work or anything similarly demanding. Also, since the mini uses system RAM for video, 2GB may be slightly less sufficient than in another machine.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes and no. 2GB is probably the minimum, but if you are going to the trouble of cracking open the mini case which is a mild PITA might as well load it up and be done with it with RAM so cheap. 10.5 is a RAM hog. Who knows what 10.6 will do. I'd say in this case it really doesn't hurt to go ahead and load up.

8. Chris2Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys. Yeah as I mentioned its ordered so its going in! :)

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

It's overkill for OSX. If you're using Fusion to virtualize XP/Vista/7, then having 4gb will come in handy.