New Mac Mini, worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by montanachad, Oct 12, 2008.

1. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

I am considering selling my Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB, BT/Airport, 10.4.11 and iLife '08 for around 400.00. And then, sell my PC laptop 2005 model for 150.00. This would almost give me enough for an entry level Mac Mini C2D with an education discount.

Mini Mac C2D owners what do you think of your machines? Would I see that much of a performance difference with 10.5 and C2D? Opinions please. Thank you.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

...Which is *hopefully* tomorrow!

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What part of "The spotlight turns to notebooks" didn't you understand?!

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's time to start betting that the mini won't be silently updated. :rolleyes:

6. Bakey macrumors 6502

Sheesh... Lighten up a little! :rolleyes:

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

I use a Mac Mini on a daily basis (1.83GHz / 3.3GB ram available) and it is a nice machine with a few limitations.

You really want to wait for an update if you're buying new. The Mac Mini hasn't been updated for a _long_ time and the hardware shows its age. It is a bit more capable than a Macbook Air and that isn't saying much.

8. The Awesome macrumors member

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

Poor Mini... :( :apple:

10. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I don't care what anybody else says. Mini's are awesome. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

11. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

montanachad, i like my machine, using it every day. I recommend you, you wait a week or two if the mini gets an silent update, if not, than gor for it.

12. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

'There's just one more thing...'

(and if there is 'one more thing' tomorrow, it WON'T be a Mac Mini)

wonder if apple are playing games with us. seeing how long they can sell a product before they HAVE to update it.

@the OP

don't buy a mini yet...wait until they get updated (i've been waiting 8 months so far...)

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If Apple are making radical changes to their notebooks (ie, giving all of them dedicated graphics in preparation for Snow Leopard) then I anticipate that at some point Mac mini will receive the same treatment.

14. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Aside from drop-in upgrades (CPU, ram, and hdd), today's mini is exactly the same as the original ones when they were first switched to Intel. (in fact, I just recently upgraded our "old" Core Solo mini to a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo...proving my point) ;)

The mini has a special place in my heart. It was the original price point of the G4 mini's that prompted me to finally dip my toe into the Mac waters.

[tangent]
    I have never used Windows on a personal machine, so I am not your typical "switcher"...My personal computing journey looks like this: DOS -> OS/2 -> Linux. Brief stint with Solaris x86 when 2.5.1 was released and several *BSD OS's as well. Was a UNIX admin for 5 years and managed a variety of OS's (AIX, UNICOS, Solaris, *BSD, Linux, HP-UX, Irix, etc). Needless to say, I wasn't at all interested in Mac's from an OS standpoint until the BSD-based OS X came around. :)
    [/tangent]

4 mini's, 3 iMac's, 1 iBook, 2 Macbooks, and 1 Macbook Pro later, I can attribute it all to that first, inexpensive mini...it made the gamble palatable...if I didn't like it, at least it didn't cost me much.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would wait.

The Mini is due for an update.

Unfortunately, we don't know when this will happen.

Thanks for the switching story.

Looks like you are enjoying the Mac platform. :)

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Apple said that they were making the transition to aluminum with every product by the end of 2008, the mini is currently plastic, correct?

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

1. They never said that.
    2. The majority of it is aluminium.
    3. The iMac is partially plastic.