New Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by michelb76, Nov 8, 2018.

1. michelb76 macrumors member

I'm thinking about replacing my 2012 Mac Mini with a newer model. I'm only using it as a glorified videoplayer connected to my tv. (ATV4K is not an options for me) I'm upgrading my tv to a 4K model next year, and the 2012 can't drive that.

So I'm looking for a simple config (i3, 8 or 16gb, 128 or 256gb). I'm also looking for an external harddrive that holds all of the video content (2-4tb). I've been looking at the USB-C/thunderbolt drama from a distance and have no idea what to pick. I've looked at a LaCie but I hate that brand and it has an inferior drive inside, so I'll never get a decent speed.

Any recommendations for an external drive that actually has decent speeds when copying large amounts of video?

2. gigatoaster macrumors regular

gigatoaster

Hello there

I often see Samsung T5 (or X5?) as a recommended external SSD drive.
    I might get want later as I ordered a mini with 512 GB and I want to watch torrent files of Blu-Ray UHD 4K, which can be 50 GB each!

3. archer75 macrumors 68020

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

You could run Plex on the Mac mini, and add an Apple TV with the Plex client on it.

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

First step is ssd vs HDD. 2x2ssd, depending on arrangement is near $1000. The same with spinner is 90% cheaper.

6. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

Why? It's a great device. Lots of us who used to "need" real computers under their TVs have switched. As previously mentioned, I'd use the mini as a plex server and get an Apple TV (and if you're old mini wasn't powerful enough to be a plex server, I'd build a cheap linux box instead of buying a new mini).

7. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Another plus for the Apple TV is the ability to use Airplay to stream from an iPhone or iPad to the TV.

8. archer75 macrumors 68020

Exactly. Unless there's very specific circumstances there's really no need for HTPC's anymore. You'll get a much better experience from a ATV4k. And better image quality.

I would also recommend using infuse for 4k movies. And also if whatever you serve from isn't powerful enough for plex because the content may require transcoding. You'll get HDR and HD audio from infuse and it has it's own built in codecs so there's no transcoding.