Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laiyna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hi All,

Planning to buy a MacBook, but I am as green as grass for Mac (not unix though). What Software cq Hardware would I need to be able to do the next things atleast with a desent performance?

- Compatible with all Windows/Office stuff (.doc .xls .rtf .pps, etc.) and being able to open, edit and save it.
- Able to connect with my Kabel Modem (RJ45,DHCP)
- Basic workload (document editing, web browsing, emails, etc.)

And I am not talking about running applications in vmware or so. But having a vmware type of software would be handy.

And what software would be recommanded to order besides the basic OS? In case its prity hard to order new software after my initial I order (my boss is paying 1 time the bill). I am a technical consultant, used to work with a basic Windows/Office Laptop and some software burn tools.

Thanks in advance,

Laiyna

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Hi. If you dont want to spend much money I would recomend NeoOffice. Its freeware and can open most Microsoft Office documents. It takes a while to open but it pretty good once you get doing.

You get Mail and Safari for email and web surfing and if you dont like them there are plenty of free ones out there. Not sure about the modem, just search on Google - mac and that pics out mac specific web sites. Its really handy for new users. Enjoy your MacBook.

laiyna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
cost

hi again,

Cost is not a real isue, as long as I can motivate it that I need it, and I just dont want to have a rediculous expensive machine. But having licenced software would be an advantage for me.

> - Able to connect with my Kabel Modem (RJ45,DHCP)

This is a piece of hardware, my computer (the modem) is a direct network connection by a cabel, and it gives to me by RJ45 (in the USA its known as 8P8C) a connection to the internet. I get by DHCP an IP adres from my provider.

Laiyna

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
re: Your modem,

I guess you are bassed in the UK. Do you get your computer network from Telewest? If so it will just work. No need for a driver or anything else like that. Even if you are not using Telewest your mac should connect to the modem with just the information from you have.

re: Office,

Microsoft do a version for the Mac. It can be found here. If you can get by using NeoOffice for a few months I would recomend it as Office 2008 will be a universal binary and run really quick on a mac and should be released later in the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.