new mac old charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sky858, Aug 4, 2013.

1. sky858 macrumors newbie

I just bought an open box Macbook Pro at best buy. It is a 2013 model and was listed as excellent condition. The computer is excellent, but the charger is simply not right. The charger looks well used and has a date of 2009 on it. It also looks like it has a silver adapter plugged into the white part that would normally plug directly into the computer. I haven't even plugged the charger in yet, but is it normal for Best Buy to put an old charger in with a new open box computer? When I called Best Buy the person on the phone asked me if the charger worked. I thought they would just replace it because it is the wrong charger. I don't plan on returning the computer for this since I got a good price and love it, but I fear I have an old charger that probably has a limited amount of life left if it even works when I plug it in. What do you think I should do? If I just bring the charger into the store and try to exchange it wont they just think that I switched it out with an old one? I have never even had a mac before so I would not have had an old one to switch it with anyway.

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

yeah just bring it in & tell them you need the correct charger.

Should be a magsafe 2 85W. which..... was not made in 2009

edit, also tell them this is your first mac and they is why you did not pick up on it at first

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Be polite, tell them the truth, request a new new charger. It does not make sense to have a open 'new' product that is obviously being used.