Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi, my imac is nearing warranty end (in sth about 3 months - iMac 2011) and I consider selling it and buying new one.

After 2012 iMac introduction I was sure this time I will buy sth else cause no fussion drive option in low 21 incher, but that has changed... and now, I do not know what to do:)

So, my question is, is fussion drive good enough to buy imac with fussion or should I just swap iMac for mini/mb air?

I do ordinary stuff like browsing, writing docs, watching youtube, listening to music, very little photo editing... and little gaming (starcraft 2, L4D)... Bit I really want SSD like speeds... so? How fussion works for you? isnt 128 SSD within it too small??

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Fusion is a new technology and there are reported problems.

With your light use you can get SSD-like performance by 1)sleeping your Mac rather than shutting it down, and 2)leaving apps running. If you close windows (Cmd-W) rather than the application (Cmd-Q) it will appear to start instantly when you click on its icon. My iMac goes weeks without rebooting and I'll typically have 1-2 dozen apps running at a time without problems (8GB RAM). It's 3 years old now and still fast, and I run some heavy stuff on it -- FCPX, Aperture, Parallels VMs.

Just buy Applecare and keep it another 2 years.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Fusion is a new technology and there are reported problems.

With your light use you can get SSD-like performance by 1)sleeping your Mac rather than shutting it down, and 2)leaving apps running. If you close windows (Cmd-W) rather than the application (Cmd-Q) it will appear to start instantly when you click on its icon. My iMac goes weeks without rebooting and I'll typically have 1-2 dozen apps running at a time without problems (8GB RAM). It's 3 years old now and still fast, and I run some heavy stuff on it -- FCPX, Aperture, Parallels VMs.

Just buy Applecare and keep it another 2 years.

What exactly you mean by "reported problems"??

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Search threads here about the problems -- "bricked" drives after reformatting attempts, problems adding BootCamp. Also read the Anandtech articles about the Fusion drive for pros and cons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.