New Mac or SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdwagner888, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Alright. i bought the base model 15" 2.0 quad core i7 MBp on opening day.

Im regretting not purchasing the next one up (would be 200$ to trade this in for the next up model)

I do play alot of games, especialy high speed games like World of Warcraft.

My question is this, Should i dish out the extra 200$ and upgrade the entire mac. or buy a nice SSD and put it into this base model 15"?

I already have 8 gig of ram on its way. so either route i go will have max ram.

Thanks!

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go with the SSD. You'll notice the difference right away with the speed than just upgrading the processor.

3. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Toss an SSD into the MBP you have. You'd see an increase in framerates with a new model, but it's not going to be the same level of "ZOMGWTFBBQPICKLES THIS IS FAST" - at least not for what you've described your uses as :)

4. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Personally, I would go with the higher end MBP as you get the 6750m GPU with 1 gig of gddr5 memory which should make your mac quite future proof IMO

Hope this helps. :)

5. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

well i use my mac for heavy gaming, obviously everyday browsing.

I download TONS of torrents, and also edit video and soon to hopefully start getting into photoshop.

Is it true that SSD's will be going down in price within the next few months?

Because if so then i might just get the upgraded 15" for the better processor and graphics card then upgrade the HD later down the road.

i dunno i can never make up my mind AHH!

6. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

"Heavy gaming" you'd probably notice some difference, but I don't consider WoW heavy by any means. Torrents, video editing, and even photoshop wouldn't exactly be changed drastically by upgrading. As for the SSD price, it's probably they will be dropping, however the $/GB is still pretty insane when you compare them to 7200RPM drives. I realistically can't see the cost for SSDs dropping a large amount, maybe a few bucks here and there but basically it would be a mouse farting in a hurricane.

7. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

so what would u do in this situation then?

8. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yes a SSD would make day to day life much easier and snappy BUT games like WoW and more intensive games will benefit more from the better video card. While I whole heartily agree with SSD, I would have to say the 6750 will do you more good than a SSD in terms of gaming performance.

EDIT: SSD's of the near future are getting much faster not so much cheaper nor larger.

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I'd probably just get the SSD. Unless you personally think your current gaming is utter crap - I really don't see any pressing point. "Futureproofing" is damn near impossible, especially with notebooks.

Edit - WoW is more CPU intensive than GPU anyway.

10. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. i think ill be trading this for the upgrade then and getting the ssd later down the line

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

12. nbeshouri macrumors newbie

upgrade. for a gamer, twice the gpu power and a modest cpu bump is a better use of $200 than an ssd.

13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Purely because you like to game I would go with the higher-end model as the extra graphics horsepower will make a noticeable difference.

Then stick an SSD in later.
    With 8GB as well that thing will fly

14. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks everyone. hopefully i can get to the apple store before they close today (i got a 5 hour drive!!!)

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

CEBIT conference is coming up March 1-5 and vendors will likely be releasing new Sandforce SF-2000 controller based SSD drives there. These will be a big speed bump from current drives. I would wait until after CEBIT to buy a SSD.

16. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

A gamer should not buy the base 15" MacBook Pro. You get 1/3 the shaders and 1/4 the VRAM as the high-end 15", plus the CPU itself has a noticeable bump.

Upgrade the model, wait on the SSD until later.