Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
Hi all,

I just wondered, when Mac OSX Leopard (is that right), is released...will it be compatible with only the Intel macs? Sorry if this is a stupid question...I'm a newbie :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nope, not getting rid of too many PPC machines.

But it will get rid of some legacy machines -- like anything without a built-in DVD drive.

Don't expect Apple to make any CD-ROM versions available with this version.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
Thanks, I didn't want to purchase a powerbook this year, then have next years OS not work with it!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The PowerPC came out in 1994 (or was it 93?), and all the OS releases up to 1998 still supported the 68040. So I think the PowerPC is safe for a while :)

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
As Nermal says, Apple supported 68k for 5 years after it was phased out of the hardware line up. OS 9 is still supported in the way of Classic and its user base still builds apps for it (although I can't fatham why :p). PPC will definitely be supported by leopard and I'm sure the next version will run on PPC too. The version after that (10.7?) I doubt will.. but then we're looking at 2010/11.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
SpaceMagic said:
As Nermal says, Apple supported 68k for 5 years after it was phased out of the hardware line up. OS 9 is still supported in the way of Classic and its user base still builds apps for it (although I can't fatham why :p). PPC will definitely be supported by leopard and I'm sure the next version will run on PPC too. The version after that (10.7?) I doubt will.. but then we're looking at 2010/11.

A good perspective SpaceMagic. PowerPC equipped Macs will be alive and kickin' for years to come! :D

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
Absolutely...thats the reason why I went in got my 12er PB....I didnt want to get stuck with the 1st gen mactels. Should not be problem! :)

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
SpaceMagic said:
A good way to look at it!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
al3000 said:
Hi all,

I just wondered, when Mac OSX Leopard (is that right), is released...will it be compatible with only the Intel macs? Sorry if this is a stupid question...I'm a newbie :D

Well since Mac OS X.4 (Tiger) was just released a few months ago, Leopard won't be released anytime soon. According to what Steve Jobs said, Mac OS X.5 (Leopard) shouldn't be released until sometime in very late 2006, say November, or December of 2006. Typically Apple is able to update its OS every 18 months or so.

All of future OS X and OS X apps will be whats called dual binary, meaning it will run on both PPC Macs and x86 Intel Macs. This is why every OS X software developer has to recompile their OS X apps. Some have to do more depending on how lazy they were when they originally created their OS X app.

So I would get a new Mac today. Its certainly going to last you at least 4 to 5 years without a problem. I don't even see this eliminating older non-beige Macs. I have a couple of Macs without DVD players on them that have Tiger installed. All you need is a FireWire port and you can put the Mac w/o a DVD drive into target disk mode and then install it from a Mac with a DVD player. If your Mac doesn't have either a FW port or a DVD player, you can take the HD out and stick it in an external FW Case and then install it that way as well. So there are still ways to get Tiger and future OS's on non DVD/FW Macs.

I just bought a brand new 17" PowerBook G4 about a month ago. I personally do not want a first generation x86 Mac. I want my current PPC apps to work at full speed, not 85% emulation speed using Rosetta. For a new user, thats not an issue, but it Apple's Intel announcement shouldn't make you wait to buy a new Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.