New Mac Os user ,cheapest entry level mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Balckoutgr, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Balckoutgr macrumors newbie

What is the cheapest entry level mac computer (desktop-laptop does not matter, only the price ) for a new user who wants to experience Mac OS X (mavericks-yosemite) ?

No gaming , no heavy photo-video editing but to be able to enjoy everything else (UI,Music-Videos,mail etc) lag free.
    Mac os X in its full glory .

thanks in advance .

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Mac mini is the least expensive Mac available.

4. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

My first mac was a used mac mini. If you already have a mouse, keyboard and monitor then i agree that this is the best choice. You can get a good one from eBay or apples refurb store (2011 or later would be my suggestion). If you are going to have to purchase all of those things, i would suggest instead getting a used macbook air. Last year I picked up a virtually new 2011 air for $700 and it has worked flawlessly. Depending on your budget, i would suggest a 2011 for price or a 2013-2014 for some better performance (both are still quality machines that will run the latest osx). Apples refurb store has some deals, amazon can occasionally have a decent deal, but your best bet is probably eBay (craigslist is fine but if you do not know much about macs then you may want to avoid it to ensure you are not getting ripped off). As long as you buy from a seller with good reviews and a good description, you will get a good machine from eBay for a better price. One other important note, macbook airs are much less upgradable than the mini (ram in particular) so take that into consideration when choosing between them.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you have peripherals, get a Mac Mini. If you don't already, you can get a new 13" MBA for as little as 700$ from BestBuy.

6. Balckoutgr thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a monitor but i will buy an apple keyboard and trackpad.
    I prefer to buy used ...

Only consideration is the price and to be snappy ..

I think maybe i should wait for the new mac mini , and buy a 2012 used i7 2.3 ..or even a i5. If it has no slow downs in GUI.

7. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You'll be fine with a Mini. Don't worry so much.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

For your usage, I'd get a Mac mini if you want a desktop, then add an SSD to it.
    If you want to go portable, get a MacBook Air.

If you feel comfortable opening up computers, the 2010 and newer Mac mini are generally very easy to get into and pop in an SSD. My family has a Mac mini in our den with 10.9.4 with a standard 5400rpm drive and it is slow compared to a 2010 MacBook Pro with an SSD.

9. Balckoutgr thread starter macrumors newbie

So maybe i should wait a mac mini that support 4K output right out of the box ..( i have a samsung U28D590d for my PC rig)
    It's a shame that apple does not support this resolution at mac os X an at the same time you can enjoy it through windows in the same mac mini .

I can not undertand those apple intentional limitations who cuts sales.

10. andypandy77 macrumors newbie

I agree with you. When it comes to obvious add ons such as USB 3.0, blu-ray support out of the box and 4K as standard, Apple surely always lacks behind.

If 4K is the thing for you, I would wait too. In fact I would wait anyways. The Mac mini haven't been updated for years and rumors here on MacRumors says there's a new version launching this very month.

I own a macbook air myself and it is indeed a nice entry-level mac, but if you're just into the OS and doesn't really need a laptop, it would be crazy to buy one for your needs.

11. theitsage macrumors 6502a

Open Box MBA

Go to Best Buy and get a MacBook Air 11". Almost every store has Open Box Apple laptops. To find the best deal, use this link and put in your area code or city. You can also stack a 10% off coupon from the Mover's package at the Post Office.

I've personally bought a 2013 MBA 11" for $455 OTD. YMMV based on availability in your area.

12. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Oh yeah you can also negotiate on open box items at bestbuy. Done it before just get the manager over