New Mac OS X email worm discovered

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clevin, May 7, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3346

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Gee... seems like a pattern here....

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

oh, can you provide some cases of such thing that constitute your "pattern"?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's possible that he means of all the worms, holes, security flaws with OS X, very rarely, if at all, do they come into fruition or become an actual security threat to the OS. Every system has its flaws, yet it hasn't really been worth it, or hasn't been easy enough for the typical creators of such things to put in the effort needed to infect the small percentage of Macs vulnerable and still turn a profit (say, infecting 5% of Windows machines out there or infecting 5% of Macs out there, and then having 1% of those people give up information or fall for the associated scam to earn said profit).

I'm not referring to the handful of trojans out there that can affect the Mac OS, though.

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

Im just curious about the prior cases of such worms that "exist in reality, but not severe enough, or not good enough to cause significant damages. "

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I can't find any detail on this "worm" or on how it works.

Vendors are calling it "proof on concept".

I also doubt it's a worm, it's most likely a trojan which acts like a worm.

EDIT:

It's a trojan.

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well it's not really a worm, but a trojan.

And yes, I'd say that OSX/Oompa-A was quite similar. From a similar announcement around the time of its discovery:

There was also that Bluetooth worm c. Panther that was created after the hole it exploited was patched (and after the patch was rolled out.)

So yeah, I think it follows the pattern of "things that get the news sites in a fit, but don't actually pose a real threat".