New Mac Owner - A few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jenkl, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Jenkl macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the help ahead of time. Bear with me, I'm a new mac owner. I'm quite PC literate, but still getting the hang of OS X.

1) OS X, as it came on my new Macbook, takes up something like 20 gigs. That seems a bit over the top, I'm curious if that's normal? If there are things I can cut out to get a lot of that space back. I've only got the 80 gig HD, and between the XP partition and Media partitions I want to make, I'd like to get some of that space back so i can put it to use elsewhere.

2) Is there anything I should be aware of in relation to file sharing between a Mac and PC? I'd like to use file sharing to keep my media libraries updated on both my pc and mac, and file sharing seems the most logical way to do it (at least if it were two PCs). Any restrictions I should know about? Any better suggestions on keeping my media libraries synced between the two?

Anyways, thanks again. I may have more questions, Ill just add them to this thread.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do an erase and install would free up some space for you. Other than that, you can delete some printer drivers, you might try whatsize to see what is taking up how much space.

Well you could get a NAS and put all the files that you want to share on the NAS.

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I got rid of iMovie, GarageBand, and iDVD and cleared up a lot of space.

Just go through your list of applications and get rid of ones you dont want.