New Mac owner- need help with a media player.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tuneman07, Apr 12, 2008.

1. tuneman07 macrumors regular

Forgive me for being confused but I just bought my first Mac about 2 weeks ago and am in desperate need of some help with playing videos/audio files. The main problem is I like to download radio shows to archive and cannot download them without buying some sort of Quicktime Pro upgrade. I can stream fine but need to download them. The same goes for various videos- often times I can stream them but I want to download them for archiving not to mention they randomly size when streaming (one will be 2 inches big and another will be 4 etc...)

I love everything about this Mac so far but this media thing has been a huge pain as Quicktime just seems to lack so much as compared to Windows Media Player which I have always used.

I am just looking for something I can download media to my hard drive with- and play in full screen, or on loop.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

yes, to do these things in quicktime you need to buy quicktime pro however you can still download some videos and radio shows by doing this...[​IMG]
    then you can open the file in iTunes or normal Quicktime and watch it in fullscreen.

3. tuneman07 thread starter macrumors regular

So basically theres no way to download this stuff without the pro eh? That would really suck as theres no way I am paying to simply download a file I have been doing that for free for years.

Edit- sorry I was confused again lol, that would be great if I could just use Itunes but how do you get that screen to pop up? just hold the click down? unfortunately a few sites don't seem to do anything when I click and hold them- I can drag the link to the desktop but it just is the link not the actual file.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

oh sorry for not clarifying! You right/control click the link to the file. It does not work on pages like Get a Mac ads at apple.com cause those are embedded into the page.