New MAC Owner Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tommydee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tommydee macrumors newbie

I am finally leaving the PC world (after 30 years) and getting a MAC. I will be getting a MAC PRO and will be using it as a music media server and my main computer. The question I have is SHOULD I BUY AN APPLE DISPLAY WITH THE MAC PRO OR SHOULD I BUY ANOTHER HIGHLY RATED ONE LIKE THE SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER OR A DELL ULTRASHARP. It looks like these monitors receive higher ratings from the independent review sites.
    What do you think?

2. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

If you're not doing pro graphics work, don't get an Apple display.

3. Cudadown macrumors regular

I would buy the apple. But thats just me. I like the build quality and the image quality is fantastic.

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Yes, the Apple Cinema Displays have absolutely fantastic quality and look simply beautiful. They're stylish and match perfectly with the Mac Pro. I would know because I own 2 :).

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

I would never buy a Dell. The Samsung SynchMaster 21" can be bought for $550, while the Apple 20" is $599. I'd pay the extra $49 for the Apple.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

My first bit of advice to you would be to tell you the correct spelling of Mac. <There it is. Welcome to the fold!

Coming from the outside, perhaps you'll know this... where do people get the impression that it's in all caps?

Oh, no defragging needed, no virus protection needed, get AppZapper if you'd like, go for the 8800 GT, you're awesome for getting a Mac Pro... that's about it! Welcome, again!

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

If you've never used an ACD I would go check the quality of them out at an Apple Store. They're great and I would say go for one of them if money isn't a real big factor.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

For a music media server, I'd say consider an iMac with external hard drive for Time Machine. Their beautiful and display included. For a Mac Pro, any display will do until ACD includes iSight.

10. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I went with a Samsung Syncmaster 245BW (24") - got mine on store-closing discount @CompUSA for $350, but even the normal price is a little less than $500.

I'm a recent switcher as well, and what a computer to switch to :)

Have fun with it, it's an incredible machine! :)

-Bryan

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

<RANT>I don't care too much about the iSight, I just want a harder face (like the new iMacs) to prevent discolouration from dumbass students touching them in classrooms. Our school spent over $40,000 on apple displays in the Graphic Design lab and people keep poking them when they want to show something to another student. Most of them now have hot spots and can't be used for color accurate design any more.</RANT>

OP: I say get the apple display, unless it's important to you to have more than one input. The competitors usualy have DVI, a VGA or two, and sometimes composite with the ability to switch quickly between them.

Oh, and CAPS means you're yelling. It sounds weird, but most of us who use forums a lot hear a yelling voice in our head's when you write in all caps. I suggest bold for emphasis.

12. stevegmu macrumors regular

Samsung SyncMaster 215TW is more of a fair comparison to the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

13. ChicagoDude macrumors newbie

I too am new to Mac's and have a similar question. (Sorry for my ignorance)
    Will most any monitors work with Mac's? I am not doing professional graphics work.

For example at Fry's electronics they are advertising (after $30-$50 rebate):
    19" (generic) LCD monitor for $139
    NEC LCD19V-BK 19" LCD monitor $189
    Envision G22WK 22" monitor $229
    Envision 24" monitor $349

I'm not trying to advertise Fry’s however the price comparisons to the Apple Displays are pretty significant. Will these monitors work with the MacBook? For me pricing is an issue at this time.

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sure, your Macbook can drive any of those monitors. If price is an issue than look for the best deal you can find.

15. TechHistorian macrumors member

Welcome. But ... thirty years? The IBM PC is only 27 (released August of '81). BTW, the only personal computer manufacturer from thirty years ago still in the personal computer business is Apple.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Apple makes very nice monitors, but if price and flexibility are more important than aesthetics, there are better choices.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you can afford both, go for the better one :)

18. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

You are deffinitly my fave person of the day!! I have to warn my friends EVERYTIME they go NEAR my room not to touch the screen. Otherwise they forget, and I freak out on them :D

Btw- I was going to point out the caps thing, but you did it already!

To the OP: I personally would go with a cheaper screen. Since your not doing any serious colour intensive editing and things. Why not save yourself a few bucks? But if you are going to do colour intensive editing, then apple display all the way! Greatest piece of hardware I ever had given to me in my life. (>.> Even though the person who bought it forgot the simple fact that I DON'T have an actual Mac of my own yet/anymore)

19. tommydee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great advice!

It looks like the consensus is to go for the Apple. I do intend to do a lot of photo work and many of you said the Apple excels at that.
    Thanks to Tallest Skil for teaching me the proper spelling of Mac:). I'm not sure where those of us from the "other" side get the all caps thing!
    Thanks to TechHistorian for helping me to realize that I'm not as old as I think I am!
    This is the first forum I have ever participated in and I appreciate all of you making me feel welcome.
    Thanks again for the great advice! It looks like a Mac Pro with the Apple Cinema Display is the way I am going!