New Mac Owner: Security for my new MBPR

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bennytsmithjr, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Bennytsmithjr macrumors member

I would like to protect my new MBPR just in case it gets stolen or goes missing. I work in a Real Estate office and its always busy with foot traffic. What software do you suggest I install and is there any type of GPS tracking I can install in my MBPR? Thanks Benny

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There is a laptop lojack product available somewhere. We put it on my son's MBP when he went off to college. Fortunately, he never needed that feature. :eek:

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Everything you need is included and free. Sign up for a free Apple iCloud account then enable Find my Mac in the iCloud settings. If your machine is stolen and the users gets on the Internet, you will be able to see that under your account at icloud.com. The same service can remotely wipe or lock the machine.

Also set a firmware password so if stolen nobody can boot from another disk. To do this do a command-r boot to Recovery HD and in the Utilities menu select the firmware password option and set a good password. Make sure you remember it because there is no way to get it back without taking it to an Apple store and proving you own the machine.

Then in System Preferences under Security and Privacy turn on Filevault encryption. This is full disk encryption that nobody will be able to crack.

When you are done you will notice a new Guest account at the login screen. What this does it allow a thief to click that account and it takes them to a Safari only account so they can hopefully get on the Internet, allowing you to see the machine at icloud.com and track the bastards down.

4. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks....I did what you said.... what if someone steals it and doesnt access the internet? is there a way to put gps in it or anything?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no GPS receiver in the MacBooks, and I have never seen an add on like that. All the theft recovery tools, even the aftermarket ones, rely on the thief getting on the Internet at some point so the machine can "call in."

At least with the combination of a firmware password and Filevault encryption you can be assured the thief cannot access your data.

6. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

You can set up Find My Mac to do this, if you own an iPhone or some other apple device its of use.

I use this

http://preyproject.com

It works very well

The other advice is useful, including leaving enough ability to get on the internet as that's your best bet to track the muthafugga down

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

In most cases, when a notebook computer is stolen, especially a MacBook Pro; GPS will do you little good unless you notice it is missing right away because most are shipped overseas. On the rare occasion when a stolen device remains local, Find My Mac as mentioned above is great if the device is powered on and not immediately dfu restored. Just remember that the location feature is there for you to find it if you lose it. If it is stolen you should report its location to the Police. Don't attempt to track it down yourself as you could be putting yourself in personal danger.

8. strikingviking macrumors member

A friend of mine's MacBook Pro was recently stolen and he has tracked it via Find My Device but the image detail is not specific enough. Hence the police can't help him. The satellite image shows that his computer is within five or six houses. Is there a way to narrow the search?

9. Bennytsmithjr, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

Interesting..... Has he tried viewing it with street view or hybrid???? I know find my mac gives you 3 different views....

Correction.....So i looked mine up, Not sure if its the same for everyone else but my mac book say its on the edge of a road, when it is actually inside the building on the right.... It isn't even in the circle range shown.... So your may not even be within those 6 houses...

Attached Files:

10. hawkeye9935 macrumors newbie

I use Undercover (http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/)

Very good product and works seamlessly and unobtrusively in the background until you need it (which I have not had to yet, thankfully).

Also, you can use the software for iPhone and they offer another product for iPhone/Mac duos called Witness (http://www.orbicule.com/witness/index.php)

I've been very happy with these (student discount doesn't hurt either!).

11. strikingviking macrumors member

Here is what we have so we obviously need more detail before retrieving the stolen Mac.

[​IMG]