New Mac owner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wolfstone, Jan 17, 2010.

1. wolfstone macrumors newbie

Hi After many a year looking at Macs i have been won over and gone and got my self a 15'' Mac book Pro the one with 320 gb H/D and 2 graphic cards.
    I am slowly finding my way around but have come to a stumbling block and would like to get some help please.
    i have made a partion on my Hard drive of 20 GB this is for keeping my Docs and stuff safe in case the other partion goes down and i have to reinstall (i take it it works like windows) anyway in this folder i have put a folder which i called CD artwork (covers for my own CD that i put in Itunes and then on my Iphone) any way when i get the picture i need i click on save as and then get a drop down of options (the main is downloads but i do not want it there)i can select my partion but the folder does not !!. why not is the question,
    it means at the moment i can save into the partion then have to move it into the folder..
    any help please

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There's a little down-arrow next to that drop-down. Clicking that should open up a file browsing dialogue that will allow you to navigate to any location on any attached writable drive to save the file.

3. wolfstone thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep i got that far , i can find the Partion which i called my Docs but when i click on that, the folder in that partionn does not show ?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, not really. There's no need to partition your internal drive on a Mac.

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

As mentioned above, partitioning the main drive is pointless. Mac OS X isn't really the same as Windows. There is more chance of the whole drive dying than just the boot partition which would still leave you without your data. Buy a cheap external hard drive and set that up as a back up drive using Time Machine. Partitioning the main drives means you cannoy use Boot Camp if you ever wanted to.

You don't need to set up a seperate folder for CD artwork. Just drag it onto the artwork section of iTunes and it will sort it all out for you.

6. wolfstone thread starter macrumors newbie

7. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

If you decide to use an external HDD, consider using SuperDuper. It is a Mac back-up application that is wonderful. I use an external HDD and back-up daily with SuperDuper. I also use Time Machine. SuperDuper creates a bootable (mirror) HDD back-up which you can use if your Mac dies. All you do is plug it into any other Mac computer, boot from the external HDD, and you work from it like your Mac. Time Machine is only good for restoring specific files, not a full HDD restore. If you replace your internal HDD, you can do a full restore from SuperDuper and you are back to when your previous Mac HDD died.