Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pin-Fisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2002
Marlton NJ
Ok..Im waiting for my new 17" iMac to hit. I have a question about OSX . When you buy the retail version of the OS it says it comes with develpoment tools. When you get it pre installed do you still get the tools?

Note: If they don't come with it I will just go out and buy X...The development tools alone seem worth the price..

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• boss_menu.jpg
    boss_menu.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 270

sevag1

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
well..

when i got my quicksilver last year right after MWNY, it came with OSX pre-installed, and it didn't come with the dev tools.. If you want the DEV tools that badly, dont go buy X all over again, you can i think d/l it from the apple site...

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Sure you can download the 220mb download or go to the Apple Store and get the cd for FREE!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
yes....

You get the dev. tools with the full retail version (not upgrade) as well as on a new system. At least I got them in my TiBook that I picked up when the rev. c came out.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
dowload

you can download it for fee off the Apple developers site. Its about a 250MB download. There is a beta version of the X.2 Dev tools out now.

Also...if you ordered your iMac allready then is will come shipped with OS 10.1.5. OS 10.2 is comming out in a few weeks. I think you get a free or a cheep upgrade to 10.2 because your a new Buyer. At most you will have to pay $20.00 for a new set of disks and you will get the Developer tools CD with that. The new 10.2 Dev tools have been updated. New GCC compiler!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: New MAC person with an 'X" question

Originally posted by Pin-Fisher
Ok..Im waiting for my new 17" iMac to hit. I have a question about OSX . When you buy the retail version of the OS it says it comes with develpoment tools. When you get it pre installed do you still get the tools?

Note: If they don't come with it I will just go out and buy X...The development tools alone seem worth the price..

Thanks in advance!!

Pin-Fisher - welcome to the club! :)

As others have stated... the dev tools are available as a free download from http://developer.apple.com/ - I think you need to register for a free account to get it.

I expect a full report when your iMac gets there... :)

arn

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
I have the Dev Tools for 10.1, but for some queer reason the MRJ app builder always quits on launch, it's really ****ing annoying to write code using TextEdit and compiling using the Terminal, ol' skool style. Good thing that I wish I had is JBuilder, now there's a damn fine program.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
dev tools

I have had the same problem with the Apple project builder my self. But it was not all the time. Most of my problems were fixed with the latest Dev tools (I think there has been 2 released since 10.1 version). JBuilder 6.0 is a great tool. When you buy it the disk comes with versions for Windows, Linux, Solaris, UNIX, and OSX. I think there is a student version of it for a reasonable price.

There always is the command line java compiler... thats what I learned with....

# javac helloworld.java
# java helloworld.class

-evildead

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
the developer tools came with my ibook 700 they were in harddrive:Applications:Installer
i had to install the, but they were there

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My QuickSilver had the development tools in a folder called "Installers" under "Applications".

wake up Jobs!!!

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
Miami, Florida
wrong

I asked the same question to the guy at my local apple store, he said, If you buy a computer here, they will give you the developer tools disk right there free. If you plan to order your mac from a catolog call them up and tell them to include it in your order. Simple as that.

GaBe-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.