New Mac Pro 2.8... Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GotPro, Feb 7, 2008.

1. GotPro macrumors 6502

OK...

So I just placed an order for a custom Mac Pro 2.8 Single (Quad not Octo)...

I noticed that for my uses (internet, ilife, some web design (light), lots of games, more work-stuff like pages / keynote) the extra 4 cores didn't really benefit me much... and I wanted the 8800GT.

I ordered the stock ATI card for now, and will just sell it and pop in the nVidia card once it starts shipping... but this way I can get my machine now :)

My questions are as follows:

1) On RAM, I know that it comes with 2 1GB Sticks... If all I'm doing is the above (I WILL be running XP both in BootCamp and via VMWARE...Is 4 GB Sufficient?

2) I understand that via the architecture that the Mac Pro uses, memory throughput is maximized when using a minimum of 4 sticks at a time. That said... should I be OK just getting 2x 1GB stick from www.transintl.com (800Mhz) and adding to the apple ram... or do I need to get 4x 1GB sticks from www.transintl.com and sell my stock ram?

3) I hadn't looked at getting a Mac Pro since the Intel XEON was debuted... and I didn't because the memory was so fricken' outrageous... now I can get 2GB kit for $128... is that for REAL????? Or should I be scared? What is everyone else paying for this memory right now???

THANKS GUYS!

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

4gb will be fine for what you have described and yes you can just add 2 x 1gb sticks alongside the existing ram. Just make sure that the ram is the new 800mhz ram for the new mac pro.

Enjoy your toy! :D

3. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

4. 0Parallax0 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I'm in the same boat as Richard. I want to get rid of my old and almost dead PC and swap to a MAC. I completed a design major a couple of years ago and am interested in mechanical 3D modelling which brings me to lend more towards the MacPro.

If you by a MacPro as Richard has can you add another quad chip at a later date?

Many thanks all.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this is atm uncertain, although it is certain that if possible, it would be a pain in the rear and definitely void your warrenty. the octo really isn't that much more, if you think you will need it, just get it straight away:)

6. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Not true. I beg to differ. I bought the single CPU simply because I've seen the photographs.

It is THE SAME MOTHERBOARD... and the CPU SOCKET is simply covered with a metal heatsink cover and 2 screws. You'll need to get an Apple Heatsink...

But it's a slam dunk to upgrade later... :)

So... later on, when prices come down... I'll throw in a couple 3.2's ;-)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=414668&page=2

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the heads up, i stand corrected!

8. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502