New Mac Pro - 2 concerns

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bass108, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Bass108 macrumors member

2 things kinda bothering me...but really everything has been wonderful with the new mac.

1) Bootup and Shutdown seem to be a little longer than I expected. About a minute or two on each. Feels like my g4 loads and shuts down faster.

2) and i have some ram slots A2 and B2 that are running about 70-72...i talked to OWC and they assured that it is no problem as the new mac pro ram can get as hot as 85.

2. geon macrumors member

Sounds like you're concerned about nothing. ARe you talking celsius? If not, mine runs almost twice as hot as yours and I have no problems. Also, 1 minute seems very quick to me. Well, seems I shutdown faster than a minute, probably around 20 sec..give or take.

3. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I have read that some with highER tempertures of ram report that the temps stay lower after giving them a good workout.

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Hmm, my older (aug 06) mac pro is very fast on boot time. Shutdown is possibly dependent upon what tasks might be running.

There are at least two phases of boot time that will affect its speed -- they can be marked more or less pre- and post-GUI. If it's post-GUI, do you have a ton of junk being loaded - extensions, programs, etc.?

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

My system boots *very* quickly, I've timed it several times and it tends to be in the 24-32 second range from cold boot to login screen. If it goes longer (which it has sometimes), it's usually cos I just had a kernel panic...

-Bryan

6. MikeL macrumors 6502

When the system boots, one of the first things it does is test the available RAM. More RAM=longer tests.

7. big dainjerus macrumors regular

8. firstyearprof macrumors member

RAM temps

Hi all,

My 4x4GB OWC RAM modules were running really hot at first (165F without work, 176F with). For whatever reason, after pushing them for about a day of hard work (temps consistently 176F), their temps under no load are down to 110-130F. Maybe you should really push your RAM for a while, keep an eye on the temps, and then see if the temps get lower after the workout. Worked for me, but am completely puzzled why... Any thoughts?

9. MikeL macrumors 6502

Sounds like there was a problem with contact between the heat sinks and the chips. Perhaps any sort of heat sink compound was applied too heavily or unevenly?

Just as an aside, it's not uncommon for people to misunderstand applying heat sink compounds. Less really is more. The idea is to fill the pores and smooth the surfaces, so that as much surface area contact as possible is made.

10. cenetti macrumors 6502

thats not normal. My (2.8/4gb ram) boots up to desktop in 15secs.
    Shut down is even less than that...

11. sweedigel macrumors member

sweedigel

12. TenFour macrumors member

Boot is about 25 seconds. Shut down is near instantaneous. Why such variations in people's times? What does this mean for the MP's consistency from unit to unit?

13. cenetti macrumors 6502

different ram, different HDD...

I have 4gb ram and WD 750gb SE16 HDD....thats 16mb cache....
    but even without the upgrades, I believe it was around 20-25secs average...
    nowhere near 1-2mins...

14. MikeL macrumors 6502

It means they're running systems that aren't configured the same way. The number of login items and processes running greatly affect the time.

15. Jonny427 macrumors regular

My boot time is about 20-30 seconds too, there is something wrong with your startup. Try going into System Prefs > Accounts and look at your startup items. I only have 1 or 2 things listed (Quicksilver being on of them)

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you happen to be using CS3 on the Mac Pro keep in mind there is one start-up program that's not a Intel app but a PPC one. This will cause boot time to slow down a bit due to Rosetta running on start-up.

17. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Do you know what program is not Intel? I tried to find more information on the Adobe site, but could not. Thanks

18. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you open activity monitor...it displays whether a program is intel or ppc