Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I currently have my Mac Pro hooked up a 30" ACD and 3-23" ACDs. Will I be able to use 4 dvi-minidisplayport adapters, using up 4 thunderbolt ports, and all will be good?

applegeek897

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
I currently have my Mac Pro hooked up a 30" ACD and 3-23" ACDs. Will I be able to use 4 dvi-minidisplayport adapters, using up 4 thunderbolt ports, and all will be good?

For the 23" Cinema Displays you can use a standard Mini Displayport to DVI adaptor but as for the 30" because it uses Dual Link DVI you will need to get a Mini Display port to Dual Link DVI adaptor because it needs extra power, apple has one of these.

----------

Also the Mac Pro 6,1 can, by looking at the ports support 12 thunderbolt displays, and another off the HDMI port but not 100% sure if this will be possible.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Yes, and for anyone who actually uses one these Mini Display port to Dual Link DVI adaptors ... they are terrible. Just read the comments about these little beasts.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This is hard to say before Apple releases more information about the new Mac Pro.

Right now we only know it has support for 3 4K displays.

You might want to consider replacing one of the ACDs with a display that will connect to the HDMI port.

One thing to think about is how old are your displays? If you're not lucky a display lasts maybe 5 years. If you're lucky it could last 10 years or more. You might want to factor in eventual display replacement in to your budget.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
This is hard to say before Apple releases more information about the new Mac Pro.

Right now we only know it has support for 3 4K displays.

You might want to consider replacing one of the ACDs with a display that will connect to the HDMI port.

Six TB probably means three controllers of two ports each. I think that means three mini DP monitors max, including using adapters. You can very probably have an extra non Cinema on the HDMI.

Otherwise it will very probably support as many TB monitors as the GPUs can handle.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Six TB probably means three controllers of two ports each. I think that means three mini DP monitors max,

No, it means 6 max , ( I suspect that DPv1.2 support means can put one monitor directly on each TB port of a pair and get out. Otherwise, if put a TB device on each port and then a DP chain ender on each one of those should get two DP monitors on one controller. )

You can very probably have an extra non Cinema on the HDMI.

Right, so could probably total 7. (but likely spread over more than one GPU ).

Otherwise it will very probably support as many TB monitors as the GPUs can handle.

Again that is highly dependent probably on how the DP v1.2 inputs get set up and how many inputs are run into the TB controller and/or the DP v1.2 bypass.

I suspect if the HDMI is configured to do 4K output that it won't be 6. An AMD 7970 ( the rough equiv of a W9000 FirePro) can do "up to 6 display port" on multistream DP 1.2 transport. I think "up to" has to do with output bandwidth not being sucked up by some 4K screen output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.