New mac pro 6 core + 5870 or Refurb w/ graphics upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aquablue, May 8, 2011.

  1. aquablue macrumors member

    Aug 14, 2010
    I'm wondering, should I get the new mac pro 6 core or the refurb with the lessor graphics card and upgrade later? What is the best deal here?

    Also, is it a good idea to wait for the new mac pro now?
  2. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    I don't own one yet, but...

    ... the consensus appears to be that you should wait, unless you really need one now. According to the Buyer's Guide, the refresh is already overdue.
  3. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 14, 2010
    Ok, and if I don't wait and want the better graphics, should I forgo the refurb? It seems that i won't be saving much with the graphics upgrade on the refurb compared to the new one, correct?
  4. dh2005, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

    dh2005 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    That kinda depends. Only you know how much power you need, mate.

    Mac Pros hold their value (I know only too well, because I'm trying to buy one second-hand...!) so, if you bought a refurb or a new 2010 model, then became dissatisfied with it after the next refresh, you could probably sell it without losing too much money.

    In direct reply to this: yeah, I see what you mean. Once you add a 5870 to it, it's probably gonna cost the same. Tricky...
  5. And1ss macrumors 6502a


    Oct 20, 2009
    Aside from buyer's remorse and the urge to have the latest and greatest, do you really need a better and faster computer than what is offered in the current line of MP?

    I don't know your computing needs since you didn't state them so that's why I'm asking this.
  6. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 14, 2010
    I'll be using it for music composition with plenty of sample libraries and virtual instruments. Also for photoshop and some hobby 3D work, windows games and general use.

    I'm sure I'd lose money if I bought this one and sold it for the next generation.
  7. johnnymg macrumors 65816


    Nov 16, 2008
    Music production and PS won't need the upgraded video card. 3D work might get a boost with the upgraded card though. ???

    If you need the computer NOW, I'd recommend the refurb MP as it's very likely the next release will be in early 2012.

  8. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 14, 2010
    If i want the 5870, is there any point in getting the refurb then due to price?

Share This Page