New Mac Pro-Advice on Graphics Card, Processor, Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by midwestperry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. midwestperry macrumors newbie

I am a one-man band in a communications department where I am responsible for magazine content, layout and design, as well as video shooting and editing using FCP and Motion. (I haven't begun editing HD yet but it's coming soon) And still work along with web design.

I use Illustrator and Photoshop on a daily basis. Video editing less frequently. I want to replace my 9 year old Mac tower with a new Mac Pro. Do I need the 2.8 or 3.2 processor? How about memory? 6 or 8? And finally, the graphics card...is the 5770 good enough or should I go for the 5870? Is the Apple Care worth it? I've never had it before.

Thanks very much. I did do a search but the latest info directly applicable was back in 08.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It sounds like you will be fine with the basic config. All components can be upgraded in the future if needed. I would definitely add more RAM but do that from aftermarket.

However, there have been quite a few rumors about Mac Pro update so if you don't need it right now, you might want to hold on.

3. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

Was in the same boat last August. Had an 8+ year old mac and jumped at the new mac pro. The one regret I have is not getting the video upgrade to the 5870. Apple charges $200 for the upgrade where as OWC is asking $489 for that card. At the time I had the budget vs. "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" conflict going through my head.

Good luck on whatever you decide;)

4. midwestperry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I will try to wait for the new Mac pro release, and consider an upgrade to the graphics card, depending on the speed bump of whatever is new.

Thanks again.