New mac Pro and graphic card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joubex, Mar 19, 2009.

1. joubex macrumors member

joubex

Hello guys
    I am just about to buy a new Mac Pro 2.26 to replace my old 2005 powerMac 2x2 Ghz.
    I am not a gamer, and I have a 30'' Dell display, but I want something which stay correct for 4-5 years. So I wonder if it's a good thing to buy the Radeon HD 4870 instead of the Geoforce GT 120 ?
    Thanks for your help

joubex

2. jketron macrumors member

I'm not sure how much this help but I have the newest Mac with the GT 120 and I run a 27 inch monitor at full 1920 x 1200 without an issue. I know you will have a larger monitor but there is my 2 cents :)

Oh and I run games at the same resolution with all the video tweaks turned up.

John

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll be running two 1920x1200 monitors, one off of a 4870 and one off of a GT 120. I can't imagine that you'd have any trouble with the GT 120.

Oh, and you can't stay "current" for four to five years. You will be current until the end of the month when Intel officially releases the Mac Pro's chips and Dell starts making a 3.2GHz Gainestown Mac Pro.

You're already not "current" in that there are graphics cards better than the 4870.

Oh, and there will be a new Mac Pro in the second half of 2010 or thereabouts, so you really stop being "current" then.

4. joubex thread starter macrumors member

joubex

I didn't write "current", I wrote "correct".
    I unfortunatly don't have the possibility to change my Mac Pro every 1-2 years..., so I just want to be able to work 4-5 years with it without too much trouble (as the majority of the people here I think)

Joubex

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I had to correct it because it doesn't make any sense your way.

There won't be trouble. Graphics cards don't fall "out of alignment" over the years.