Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vance09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I am in the learning curve with the mac pro and that was expected,i wanted the mac for photography and video edit.
The software relation to pc is killing me ,i used acronis a lot on pc's is there something powerful and reliable to get for the mac,also used a jasc paint shop pro (simple but good ) is there an equivalent in the mac besides photoshop.Can i migrate *.txt addresses to the mac and favorites from a pc to the mac

thanks

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I run jasc paint shop pro 7 on my Mac using CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ) and it is just as good as it was on a PC. I also use Pixelmator and GraphicConverter a lot. Preview will do a lot if you don't try to use it like a windows app. I keep it on the Dock and find myself using it all the time. Drag and drop a folder on it and you will find it does a lot more that most people seem to think, it will become a photo browser and you can resize the thumbnails large enough to see good and scroll with the arrows, resize or batch resize photos, crop photos, do color correction , annotate photos, rotate, flip, save as and convert to different file types. iPhoto that came free on your mac works great to organize your photos as long as you use it like a data base and not try to use it like folders on a PC. Check out Aperture on the Apple site if you want to spend a little more money on organizing your photos.:D

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
You can easily run all your PC software on the Mac Pro while you are learning the ropes. This excludes stuff that needs Bios firmware like Acronis unfortunately. But pretty much everything else like PSP can be easily done.

You need an XP32 SP2 or any Vista or Win7 license to install a dual boot OS X / Win system on a Mac Pro. It is called Bootcamp. A bootcamped Windows will allow you to import everything that you can import on a PC.

You can also run pretty much anything that doesn't use DirectX in a virtual Windows. The choice there is unlimited and you can even run old bangers like Windows95. The free virtualization SW Virtual Box from Sun would be a good choice but there are also commercial programs like Parallels which are popular. In virtual mode you can run Windows programs without leaving OS X and bootinmg into Windows.

You can edit and read .txt files with the OS X program Textedit. It is a more powerfull version of the MS free text editor.

You can read from PC disks in the Mac Pro if you simply put them into a free drive bay. FAT32 is read/write. NTFS is read only but there are drivers which will allow you to write to NTFS disks as well.

A powerfull HW tool is Apple's Time Capsule. It can be used with LAN and WLAN by Windows machines and Macs. A nice facility for central storage when you plan to continue using Windows hardware.

Favorites can be imported and exported in HTML. Since those documents are small a USB stick will suffice.

Welcome and hopefully we will get you started without much problems.

Locoweed

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
If you can afford a Mac Pro, bite the bullet & get Photoshop, you will be glad you did after you learn it.

vance09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
thanks for all the good info

I am going to be running vista64 using boot camp but first i wanted to get used to the mac,its very good just having trouble woth email addresses form PC and favorites from a PC.
Big difference with the mac is that there are people that help by phone for 90 days compared to microsoft zero days

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
  1. i used acronis a lot on pc's is there something powerful and reliable to get for the mac,

2. also used a jasc paint shop pro (simple but good ) is there an equivalent in the mac besides photoshop.

3. Can i migrate *.txt addresses to the mac and favorites from a pc to the mac

1. TechTool Pro
    SpeedTools
    Drive Genius 2
    Disk Warrior
    -- Probably in that order.

2. GraphicConverter <--Best Value and Awesome!
    Pixelmator
    PhotoLine (very nice PS Clone)
    Iris (very nice PS Clone)
    Gimp
    ArtRage (Interesting)
    Corel Painter
    etc.

3. In some apps, yes. I think I remember doing so back in 10.4.x. If you have a problem I know you can do it through GMail. or another one like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.