new mac pro and mac 27 what to choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macmartinbcn, Aug 9, 2010.

1. macmartinbcn macrumors newbie

I'm a "classical" graphics designer, indesign (250pgs catalogues), illustrator, photoshop (supergraphs up to 4gb)...
    i need to change my last mac pro g5 - but here's my doubt, do i need the new xeon monster or would the imac 27" with 16gbs ram and ati of 1gb be good for me (for the difference in price i can buy a ne macbook pro!)

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The quad imac is a better "deal" (performance/dollar) than the quad MP with the caveat that the imac is more constrained in terms of internal and external expansion. If you haven't needed multiple HD's in the past then the i7 imac should serve you well.

cheers
    JohnG

3. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

I think the only think the Mac Pro can offer is the potential for graphics card upgrade in the future.

External harddisk are as good as internal.

iMac is just more value for money in this case.

4. macmartinbcn thread starter macrumors newbie

thks! isuppose that for aplications like the ones i use (indesign, photoshop, illustrator) the Imac quad 27 will do fine, and for the saved money a new mac bookpro!

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

No way, sorry, but that's wrong. SATA and/or combined with an SSD will blow any firewire or USB external enclosure.

6. macmartinbcn thread starter macrumors newbie

meaning?

7. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Meaning that external hard disks are perfect for backup or secondary storage (eg storing data you don't access on a regular basis).

Internal disks are preferred to ensure high performance running your data intensive applications. I'm not sure what's the max size of an internal disk on an Imac but if you feel it's not enough then the Mac Pro will offer more options.

8. macmartinbcn thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha, thanks - i have always worked directly from an external firewire harddisk to easily work with the files on different computers and different places (i always check my indesign files created on the desktop on my macbook in the client's office) - the max size on an imac 27 is 2 TB enough for me, but i'd prefer to work directly from the external HD - with indesign files

9. macmartinbcn thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha, thanks - i have always worked directly from an external firewire harddisk to easily work with the files on different computers and different places (i always check my indesign files created on the desktop on my macbook in the client's office) - the max size on an imac 27 is 2 TB enough for me, but i'd prefer to work directly from the external HD - with indesign files

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

What DigitalFrog mentioned and also simply, because SATA is just much faster than firewire or USB.

It's really why SSDs are not commonly found in external enclosures, if at all.