New mac pro and the second pcix16 2.0 slot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by duppydrew, Jan 19, 2008.

1. duppydrew macrumors newbie

so the new mac pro says that it has a second 16x 2.0 pci slot. does that mean that i can put a regular pc graphics card in that second slot to run it in boot camp. can some with a new mac pro and a pc gpu give it a try.

2. newtech macrumors 6502

Always could, just the older Mac Pro could only do 16X on one slot so a card in any other slot worked but at reduced bandwidth ( 8X, 4X or 1X depending on the slot and how slots were configured ).

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Hm, well basicly the first card powers the EFI, so with a Mac card in first slot you can boot both XP and OSX. However, if you run the computer with 2 graphic cards, and start a game for example, wich card will the game choose? If the stronger, PC-card would be used as main, you would have a easy gaming rig, without the need to swap cards between OS-boots.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Doesn't this currently involve swapping cards when you boot into the darkside? :confused:

5. duppydrew thread starter macrumors newbie

when your booted into windows you can select which card is active. via the control panels. the old mac pro required card swapping because it didnt have enough 16x slots but the new one apparently has two so im sold. as soon as they start to ship im ordering mine with an 880gt and ill get a 9800 cuz theyl prolly be released about the time the 8800 ships

6. SuperGrobi macrumors member

Win XP does not boot with PC 8800GT

Humh, that's more or less what I tried. I am using the stock ATI2600 in Slot1 and planned to use a (faster and cheaper) oc 8800GT for Windows in the second slot. However, booting WinXP I always end up using the ATI card (even though I disabled it in the settings of XP) and I cannot use the 8800GT as hoped ... any suggestions?

7. duppydrew thread starter macrumors newbie

8. junior77 macrumors regular

What would be the easiest way to swap monitors? i.e., have a monitor with dual input, but what if that option is not available, like the ACD. Are there splitters out there?

9. SuperGrobi macrumors member

Yep, it's the early 2008 model. I see the card in XP but cannot get a proper display resolution using is ... it simply somehow won't work as my primary display card.
    Humh, I will try to flash the card using the Mac EFI rom ... let's see if this also works for me ;o)