New Mac Pro - Aperture Multi-User Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stujmac26, Aug 24, 2010.

1. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Digital Photography forum or here, went for here as it's busier and I can say how excited I am about getting my new Mac Pro! I'm upgrading from the iMac in my sig to a new Hexacore, main uses are for Aperture 3 and Final Cut as well as various other smaller tasks.

On my iMac, I have a very convoluted setup. Basically my fiancée also needs access to the Aperture library, and we are set up as separate users under OS X. Because Aperture doesn't support multi-user access, I set up a disk image with the Aperture Library on it (and read/write access for all accounts), and a simple program for each user which when run checks if the disk image has been mounted by another user, and if it hasn't, mounts it and then opens Aperture. Never had any problems with this but obviously I do backup very frequently just in case!

So now I've ordered the Hexacore with 2x 2TB HDDs and a 240GB SSD from OWC to use as a boot/apps drive.

Question is - is there a cleverer way to achieve what I had on the iMac or should I just do a similar setup again with the separate disk image?

Thanks for your help!

Stu

PS I also currently use a separate 2TB Time Capsule for backups - should I keep that with the new system?

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Have the Aperture library on a separate disk/partition (With ownership permissions set to none - so either of you can access it) and point Aperture at that?

My Lightroom library is on a separate HD and anyone could access that if I allowed guest/added another account, but my Mac Pro is all mine *laughs manically* :p

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Why not put the library in /Users/Shared? This sort of thing is why that directory exists.

4. stujmac26 thread starter macrumors regular

If user #2 tries to access the Aperture Library whilst User #1 has it open, it has a tendency to corrupt and lose the majority of the data in there - otherwise it would be nice and simple! :)

Guess I will do a replica of my original setup to avoid that scenario...