New mac pro arrived...and...crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by student_trap, Feb 27, 2008.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

OK guys, so i have a bit of a problem.

Basically my new mac pro arrives today, excitement ensues.

I update to 10.5.2, then to test the beast, thought id try and play age of empires 3 at full graphics. I get about 10 seconds in and it crashes: the screen froze, i could still hear the sound, and then my mac reboots by itself.

I then remember that there was a graphics update i hadn't installed yet, so i installed that.

I try to play AOE3 again and once again, this time straight as the game starts...crash.This time its doesn't restart itself, but i have to hard reboot it.

Not sure if this is related, but once just looking through finder made my system almost freeze, although I think that it may have just been a connection problem with the mouse (BT MM), as when i used the keyboard it was once again responsive

Anyone have any ideas?:(

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Check your RAM.

Give it a workout with other apps.

Check your file permissions.

Last resort: try a fresh erase and install of Leopard and update everything again.

If all that fails, you're on the phone to Apple.

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the reply, its all apple ram if that makes a difference. ill run the hardware test now

4. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Is it freezing outside of the game too? I got a new Mac Pro 2 weeks ago and I got about 2 hours of use out of it before I returned it. Apparently I was lucky enough to get one of the problematic graphics cards - the Radeon 2600s. There are many people who experience problems with it, but they're typically system freezes accompanied by some kind of pixel anomaly (dancing pixels). If you see any of that, that may be the problem, but hopefully it's not.

5. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I'm surprised it didn't come with 10.5.2 preinstalled.

6. jimithing1 macrumors regular

7. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for all of the input so far:

ok just ran the hardware test, it passed with no problems. I have the 8800gt btw.

The machine took forever and a day to be delivered, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was hanging around the warehouse in china for a while!

Will have a look through that thread a little later, (just found out im going to a play and am in a assive rush!)

Any other ideas? has anyone played this game successfully on a mac pro with 8800gt?

8. GregPacker macrumors member

GregPacker

The only screen freezes and crashes I have heard of from 8800gt owners are when waking from sleep. It is the 2600xt which typically freezes at completely random times.

9. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I downloaded and played the AoE III demo – crashed twice so deleted it. Otherwise I've had no trouble (apart from the wake from sleep issue, which seems to be fixed after resetting the PRAM). I think the AoE port isn't very good(?). I'd try everything else you'll be using your mac for – test as many different apps as you can to see if the problem repeats.

10. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

For closure, I managed to find a patch for AOE3 that i had not needed on my mbp but i am guessing is required for leopard. While the mouse problem seems to have been fixed by rearranging my desk so that it is closer to the machine itself. Thanks for all of your help guys!:)

11. Banacek macrumors 6502

I was having random crashes before my machine just up and died. Wouldn't even POST after that.