New Mac Pro arrived.... then went back to Apple again

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thworple, May 22, 2007.

1. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

After much deliberating I finally ordered myself a new Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with the ATI X1900 GPU, and patiently waited its arrival.

2 weeks went by and the new machine finally arrived on my doorstep, and I began to play with it. Not long afterward, it became apparent that there was something wrong.

After about 5mins of light usage (web browsing, checking email) the fans on the thing would slowly increase from almost inaudible (about 5-600rpm), to downright deafening (2700RPM) and would just stay there whirring away at consistently high levels without ever decreasing. It would do this each time I booted, or woke from sleep. It was akin to working in a wind tunnel, but without the breeze on your face, and was more than just a little unbearable.

I tried several things - resetting the SMC, resetting PRAM, reinstalling OSX, running the Apple Hardware test (which crashed it several times) etc, etc. but alas, no joy.

After a quick call to Apple Support, they concurred that there was something wrong, and said I can have a new machine. 72 hours later, my new machine has just shipped, and should be with me by Thurs.

2 things from this really:-

1) Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their fans?

2) Apple Support were fantastic, and made it very hard for me to be mad at Apple at all - in-fact, I was very impressed, and the speed in which they dealt with it made the whole situation a whole lot easier to deal with.

2. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Lol.. sounds like the huge issues G5s had (particularly first gen I think). The fans on all 3 dual G5 2.0 I have used get REALLY loud randomly. Luckily since none of these I own.. it makes me laugh.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

When it happened on my G5 i set the processor performance to high and the fans never really got loud after that. :p

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I haven't had any issues with my MP, but i agree Apple support is really great (as long as you know how to talk to people):D

5. Gators Fan macrumors member

My MacBook Pro was problematic straight out of the box, but the Apple Store exchanged it without a whimper. Ditto units two and three, each of which had their own unique set of no-joy glitches. The first had a "singing" hard drive, the second a missing part in the ethernet connector, and the third an abnormal heating problem. In each instance, the people at the Genius Bar, along with management, couldn't have been more accomodating. Ultimately, I wound up getting an iMac 20". When the next MacBook iteration comes out, I'll likely get one for my on-the-road computing needs.

6. thworple thread starter macrumors 6502

thworple

Hmmm, hoping I won't have to go through as many iterations as you did there - My patience hasn't really been stretched so far, but the thought of sending it back 2 more times? Doesn't bare thinking about.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

My Imac also had issues, with the fan Apple needs better QC!!!!!!

8. saltrack25 macrumors newbie

saltrack25

9. thworple thread starter macrumors 6502

thworple

Well my new machine arrived (despite TNTs best efforts at being the worst delivery company EVER). The good news is the new machine is running like a dream, AND is nice and quiet. Just a slight purr from beneath my desk, which my cats find amusing. ;)